Newton rings are a curse.

But until I pay for that fancy non newton ring stuff, I get to look at them. Yay.

Hasselblad 500c, 80/2.8 C. Portra 160vc. I paid $1.56 for developing and 3x3 prints. How amazing is that?

2786136634_775a5b83e5.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

2785281191_a59254fe0a.jpg

2786134408_db1a58846f.png

2785279055_c336479d50.jpg

View attachment 241697

View attachment 241698

These, along with captions and other digital work are on my flickr.http://www.flickr.com/photos/connorroelke/

P

Pianisimo

What are those? I would probably kill a person for $1.56 printing. Alright that's a bit of an exaggeration... :p my favorite is the last. They're all excelent.

Newton rings are artifacts from scanning with glass over the negatives. I have to lay the glass to keep the negatives from curling, and I get them. I'll post the tutorial for this really cheap processing.

Connor I like these a lot. I have to admit, I'm a big fan of Hassy square film! :biggrin: those rings are interesting, I have never seen them before. You are scanning negatives directly (and not prints) ?

Thanks Robert and Gretchen.

Gretchen, I love the square format so much. It's such a breeze to compose and it's so nice to look at. And those little square 3x3 prints are so cute! Haha.

I'm scanning the negatives directly, but the newton rings are caused by me laying normal picture frame glass over the negatives. I've found that if I don't do this, they aren't flat enough and are scanned very softly.

Not sure what kind of scanner you have, but some scanners have negative carriers. I have an Epson V500, the 2 1/4 neg carrier leaves a lot to be desired, but it does work. I'm probably going to get a V750 because I need something to scan 4x5 negatives. Anti-Newton glass carriers are available, but I probably won't get them until I get the new scanner. You have done a great job with that camera. You may want more lenses, but you are doing a very fine job with the one you have. A job well done!. and thank you for the info on Walmart photo processing. I usually use a custom lab in San Diego, but only when I'm in a hurry for my results. It is a 20 mile drive into town, and I don't always have the time for the trip.

:smile:

Michael, I scan with a 4490. It does have negative carriers. However, I encounter a lot of problems with the flatness of the negatives on the carriers. Often they appear out of focus, especially with 35mm.

Connor, I have the 4490 also. I've gotten the Newton Rings once or twice with just the 35mm film in the carrier. Thanks for the post. I was not aware of what the effect was called. Now I know.

Connor, you might want to try http://www.betterscanning.com/
for anti newton glass negative carriers. I think they are $64 for your scanner. check out the link. I was going to buy one for my V500 until I got the 4x5 camera. Not sure what I'm going to do now, have to wait until my $$ situation is resolved.

:biggrin:

Latest threads

Top Bottom