Next Emergency, SB-800 Wedding Help!

Discussion in 'General flash photography, lighting, and technique' started by cadman, Jun 9, 2007.

1. cadman

cadman

Dec 4, 2006
    Johns Creek, GA
    My daughter is shooting a wedding today. This is 20 or so successful wedding shoots for her with a D70 that I gave her. She has and SB-800 mounted on a flash arm. The SB-800 is set to TTL-BL and she seems to be getting no power out of the flash. Everything is very under exposed. She has used this combination in every other wedding shoot she has done and can not figure out what has changed. I have tried with her on the phone to go through various d70 settings to no avail.

She is OK for the moment thanks to the abundant daylight but she is worried about the reception when the sun goes down.

Thanks in advance for any help, she is really panicked.

p.s. she installed new batteries and no help

2. inamski

inamski

Feb 21, 2007
    Toronto
  3. TTL-BL mode tries to balance the flash output with the ambient light. When ambient light levels are low BL will give under exposure. I use TTL (no BL) in that case.

4. Check to make sure she is getting a good connection through the cable and that the flash is displaying the actual camera settings. If she is, then it is probably something changed in the camera...

When inside she should switch to spot metering.....this will switch the flash automatically to TTL....... outside switch back to matrix metering and the flash will automatically switch back to TTL-BL

Hope this helps
    Mike

5. cadman

cadman

Dec 4, 2006
    Johns Creek, GA
    Thanks for all the help guys. We removed the SB-800 from the flash arm and re-attached - a miracle.

She is very relieved. Also changed to TTL and had to re-adjust flash comp to original levels...

all is well in wedding land.

Thanks again.

6. Is your daughter using an SC-17 cord with the flash arm? The SC-17 does not have the locking pin hole in it and after awhile my SB-800 will work loose just enough to start seriously underexposing. It has happened to me twice now. I replaced it with the SC-28 and all is well.

7. foto1139

foto1139

Feb 6, 2006
    Luke hit the nail on the head. Use iTTL or A.