next generation d40 would be nice

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR' started by lovD300, Sep 14, 2008.

1. lovD300

lovD300

Feb 25, 2008
    Canada
    I wish we would of had a little gift.... from nikon that would of replaced the d40/d40x.... a dXX(what ever number, does not matter) that would of been a cropped sensor from the D3, that would only be around 6MP, but had a clean iso up to 6400, with capabilities to be pushed up to that 25600.

I Think everyone would like to have a small DSLR that sacrificed the high MP Density to get a nice clean high 6400 ISO capability like the d3 or d700.

anyone have thoughts on this?

2. I'm with you on that. 99% of my photos are destined for web display or viewing on the computer, so I don't need 12Mp. Something like 8 would be just fine.

But shoppers at Circuit City and Best Buy think more pixels mean a better camera, and Nikon has to compete...:frown:

3. pirahnah3

pirahnah3

Feb 22, 2008
    wuss-tah
    while the more pixels netter camera is a valid argument, you could always go for the D60 or the D90 and just use the smaller file size...

4. I was thinking the exact same thing yesterday - if they can do iso 25600 FF with 1 meg why not at 6 meg with a cropped sensor ? It would be t\he D3-40 giant killer .[ battling to type ereh , just spilled tea on my keyboard - unny tings \appeninghhhf\w]

5. rmfnla

rmfnla

Aug 19, 2008
    La-La Land
    The next generation D40 is... the D60.

Unfortunately, in this price range Megapixels count more than ISO capacity (or sensor quality, or flash sync speed, etc.).

Most buyers in this market segment don't even know what ISO is.

6. Hell most dont even know what PSAM is on the dial or what aperture is.

7. gladjo

gladjo Guest

A large percentage of my photos on my pc were taken with a point and shoot. You really can't tell unless I blew them up but I probably won't. BTW they're only 2mp's. :biggrin:

8. I did a test with my D80 , I took a picture at full res 10 meg and resized it as 2 meg and printed both of them out A4 size [ 8X12 ] - nobody can tell me which is which .

9. I don't think it's common practice to downsample an image before printing,. not sure a meaningful comparision can be made on that basis?

10. JeffKohn

JeffKohn

Apr 21, 2005
    Houston, TX
    I'm probably in the minority on this, but I really hope Nikon releases a consumer/prosumer DSLR that uses Sony's 14mp CCD sensor and has LiveView. It would make the perfect IR conversion camera (unfortunately the newer CMOS sensors are just not well suited to IR).

11. scooptdoo

scooptdoo Guest

thats true about IR sensitiviy with the CMOS sensor.but as for live view.i just dont use it much.i have to ware eye glasses to read it .im just used to peepin threw my viewfinder.

12. JeffKohn

JeffKohn

Apr 21, 2005
    Houston, TX
    Contrast-based AF in LiveView would solve the problem of getting accurate focus for IR though. Right now my D70 is calibrated to AF correctly with one of my lenses, but if I used it with other lenses the AF is off. LiveView would solve that problem.

13. danmab

danmab

Apr 26, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Meh...I do that all the time. It takes a lot less time to upload it to Walgreens to get prints and there's been no discernible IQ lost.

14. besides , in my case it was just an experiment to show people how much difference there actually is between 2 and 10 meg in a print :smile:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.