Next in line: High School Seniors

My favorite subjects are toddlers and teens! :smile:

but I need some help in gaining in on the teens....where can I find them? I need a few to model for me, and then I need their help to network for me via Facebook.

Should I post in Craigslist to start with? I just don't think teens read Craigs that much...

Ideas? Should I start Twitter to get their attention? I've never used Twitter but ... it sure seem to be working for some other people.

What about friends kids to model, then show to their friends and their friends. Could help bring in some business.

I think you're gonna need somebody to make some introductions. Once you get started, teens seem to love having their picture taken but I'd hope they'd be leery of a total stranger.

You didn't say what you're looking for...but just an idea; you might find a local skatepark where you could go, hang out for a little while, pick some kid that's good and explain what you're doing...sell your story. Everybody thinks these skaters are off the planet...they're not...if they're good, they understand physics and math. They may not see the relevence in school but they know that there's 360 degrees in a circle and 720 in 2 of 'em;) Of course, if skaters don't fit what you need, you'll need to adjust....and, not sense starting with skaters if you really want the star students;)

What are you wanting to do anyway?

I'm exploring this avenue also, Linda. I just bought a piece of furniture off of Craigslist and the lady had a senior daughter. I got to thinking. Offer her a portrait session with cd free of charge (I think they're a little hard up for cash) if she can get 3 other people to book a session and buy a package. She only gets the cd if 3 people buy. I haven't proposed the idea yet but my wife thinks it's a good idea. Maybe offer that to a couple more but then where to stop?

haha...yeah I'm not into the skater boy scene.

I want mostly High School Senior girls, and of course, some of the guys too. For their Graduation pictures or books, like outdoor beauty shots or urban style.

Thanks Just..V, I like that idea.

Oh, so you're looking to get into the business. I thought you were looking for models for some project that you wanted to do. Yeah, the other idea is probably the best.

I put together a portfolio of senior photos recently and I used my existing contacts. Thing is, I've been shooting. fornthis school for. Two years, and when I put out mail with a limited offering for pose for prints (model poses and gets photos for free) I was overwhelmed.

Your best way is to use existing contacts, for me it was a direct line to the parents. You may need to work through your friends. Better to contact the parents instead of the kids, parent want the photos, kids - not so much.

And be sure to get a model release and spell the terms out up front, they get free photos, which you'll process into portraits, and you get to post them on your site and in your portfolio. I use Easy Release on my iPad, fast, easy, and they get a copy mailed to them.

Ed

Linda,

Being a female - it will be much easier for you. I don't know if you go to church, or a local gym, but those are the perfect places to ask some high school girls. Perhaps tell them if they can get you 3 seniors you will give them a free photoshoot. That way they will do their networking for you :smile:

I am in the same boat, but being a male it is a little harder to ask random 17-year old women about taking pictures!

Find out where local teens hang out. See if you can put out posters or fliers to advertise there... or go yourself and hand out cards. The thing is, it's not the teens so much as the parents (ie MOMS) that you want to advertise to... Most teens/HS seniors I've dealt with shrug and respong with a IDC if asked about where to take their pictures... it's the ones paying for it that are important. Now ask the kids about their outfits, and be prepared for a different reaction... :biggrin:

Find a local model or two and let them be your 'teen'. Do the shoot and start spamming the local school pages on facebook. Offer up some cheap shoots for the first 5 or so and sit back and wait.

Unfortunately this is probably the worst time of year to look for seniors but you could get your name out and get ready for the fall rush.

FWIW, you have a HUGE advantage over the guys already. Use that to build your business.

Good luck,

Dennis

Craigs List listings will work just fine. Offer a free session and a few low rez digital images and tell them they are optimized for Facebook. Do not give any paper photos, just the low rez images.

In order to get the digital images on Facebook, tell then they have to Friend you first. Then you push the image (and tagged with their name) to their Facebook page. This gives you a credit on the image. Free marketing/exposure and this is what you want.

Make up a special price list that is just good for a short time span (like a week) and make it valid after the image is posted on Facebook.

June is the slowest month for seniors booking sessions. Use that time to get the models in and start building a portfolio. Then you'll have a nice selection that future seniors can look at.

The models could also be potential reps for you and that can help drive business as well.

care to expand?

I'd guess because it seems most photographers on Craigslist lack any type of skill or knowlege, most only use "natural light" (aka put camera on auto because they don't understand the first thing about manual photography or lighting), and charge $40 for 300 fully edited pictures with full rights handed over :tongue:

agreed but not all

there are a few truly professional photographers that advertise on CL. When I place ads, I make sure they know what my session fees/collections start at to eleminate the bottom feeders.

The majority of people who shop on CL are bargain hunters ad they are not the clients I want. However, there are some who know the value of hiring a professsinal.

Just because I advertise there does not lump me into the majority.

Linda,
I would contact your local high school. Speak to one of the school councilors. Offer to do senior portraits for 1 or 2 students for free (maybe someone who can't afford). Give the seniors a modest package, and ask them to hand out your info to a few of their friends (maybe have a 1 page advertisement for this). You could also speak to the year book advisor and do the same thing. Offer a free package in exchange for being able to use their images on your samples. Once your name makes it to a dozen seniors (I know they'll love your work), you'll be in...

I've never heard of Thumbtack... thanks for posting your info. Looks very nice for a Craigslist ad. Do you have to pay a fee of any sort to use Thumbtack?

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom