1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Next Lens. Sigma 150mm Macro

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by pixelharmony, Aug 1, 2008.

1. So in my path to start building my collection of primes I took interested in the Sigma 150mm. I've never done macro photography, but think it would be fun to venture into.

Also when looking at the performance of the Sigma 150mm to double as a portrait lens it looks like a great piece of glass.

Anyone else have thoughts or opinions on having this lens double as a macro and a portrait lens?

2. Absolute killer lens, one of the best I've ever owned.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

These were just day 1 test shots, haven't even begun to really use this lens.

3. Yeah... I got mine yesterday and boy am I impressed. I believe it's the sharpest lens I have ever seen. And that includes Nikon 50mm 1.4, Nikon 14-24 and Nikon 70-200. Used it as both portrait and macro the first day. Never did any macro before but got out with the D3, 150, reflector and a sb-800 and took some pictures. Absolutely stunning!

Maybe a little off topic, but hope the OP doesn't mind the following. When I was trying out macro for the first time (has been toying a little bit with my 28-105, but nothing serious) yesterday I noticed that if I composed my image and afterwards tried to focus the lens, even though being a prime, kind of zoomed in and out making me have to recompose to achieve the original composition. Is this typical behaviour of all macro lenses? Looking at the "display" on the lens this makes sense since it tells when it's in 1:2, 1:1 etc. and 1:1 obviously magnifies more than 1:2, but I was a little surprised by this my first time out. When I focused I had the D3 on C(ontinious autofocus) and single point (with focus set to AF-ON only), but I used Live View, digitally magnified the image and focused manually. Took pictures by using a remote. What I don't have figured out yet is that suddenly, without touching either lens nor camera the focus went from spot on to out of focus by itself!? Is this normal and is this phenomen due to the lens or the camera? Could somebody explain this to me? I got a lot of great photos, but the fact that suddenly the lens/camera changed focus on it's own was very frustrating.

4. i hope that you DO get the lens
    i've contemplated it, endlessly

i can't wait to see your shots

5. Randy

Randy

May 11, 2006
    i only use it for macro and after trying to use the 300/4 with tubes in an effort to maybe sell the 150 since i'd like more reach on the
    d3 i am close to deciding the tubes may not be the answer for me and that the 150 can't be beat.......it is a great lens

6. Yea... I think I'm going to get this lens. Thanks for pushing me over the edge with that shot joe :) 

7. Kadath

Kadath

Nov 21, 2007
    NJ
  8. Wow Joe ! I love this shot - has an amzing 3D quality to it.

Thanks,

9. Thanks for the kind words. Enjoy the lens.

Thanks very much for the kind words.

10. It's in the mail :)  Hopefully I'll have it early next week!!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.