Next Lens?

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by Andyc, Jun 15, 2007.

1. Andyc

Andyc

Nov 6, 2006
    South Wales UK
    This lens lust is insatiable. Having just got my 50mm f1.8 I am looking for a nice dedicated macro. I have a mind to get the Nikkor AF-S 105mm f/2.8G VR Micro for its build, photo and vr qualities. I would be grateful as a newbie for opinions as to whether its too simular to my Sigma listed in my signature.
    I would hope to use theSigma for its 300mm telephoto properties and the Nikkor for the macro.
    Thanks for any opinions.
    Best regards
    Andy

2. The IQ of the Nikkor Micros are about the same as the Tamron Macro 90mm SP (doesn't matter version, the non D, D or Di). I would get the Tamron 90mm and save the $ to another nice Nikon lens that would actually make a good difference on the IQ.
    I personally own the non-D and the Di versions of the Tamron and they are TACK SHARP even wide open. Did some comparisons with the Nikkor and kept my Tamrons :)

3. You mean the Tamron, perhaps? I don't see a Sigma....

4. Andyc

Andyc

Nov 6, 2006
    South Wales UK
    Yes I do sorry, it's been a long day!!!!!!!!!!!:confused:

5. I don't think your Tamron gets you to 1:1. What kind of macro shots are you thinking about? That will determine whether you want a 60mm or 200mm macro...

6. Excuse my ignorance, but what is IQ in this context ?

7. Image quality.

8. Hi Andy
    I have the Tamron and you GO to 1:1. Rather, as I've just pointed into another post, remember with it you WILL be able to get wonderful macro shots (at F5.6, F8, F11 and over) and great distance shots at F2.8.. BUT YOU WON'T be able to take close portraits at F2.8 due to the inner barrel extension that affects the effective aperture recorded by the camera. Depending on the distance from your subject, you could get at most a F3 or F4 or F5, passing through some awkward apertures (3.2, 3.8, 4.5).. If your aim is also portraits wide open, you should do better going for the 105 VR Nikkor OR the 150 Sigma. The Tokina 100 and Sigma 105 have the same behaviour of my Tamron 90.

9. jemaerca meant Andy's 70-300 Tamrom macro zoom, he is correct in that the lens will not go to 1:1 :tongue:
    Again, the Tamron will stay at 2.8 until you are fairly close for portrait work, when you are about 3-7 feet away from the subject at 90mm, unless you want their nose to fill the shot.

10. Even at f/4.8 or whatever it gets to wide open at 1:1, the bokeh of the Tamron is nice and the background is nicely out of focus. The Tamron, I believe, goes to about 1:2 unassisted.

11. Andyc

Andyc

Nov 6, 2006
    South Wales UK
    Thank you all very much for your advice.
    As a newbie I am trying all subjects at the moment. As favourites I am moving towards birds and macro bugs and flowers. I am not too sure about portrait shooting. From what you have all said the Tamron seems a very reasonably priced effective lens but maybe the Nikkor with its VR will suit my preference for the macro bugs and flowers.
    Decisions decisions!!!
    Thank you all once again.

Best regards
    Andy