Next time you visit Sedona Arizona

I see a lot of people posting shots of Sedona Arizona. Living here I've been there many times and to me the very best way to go is Schnebly Hill Road off I-17. This route takes you in from the backside of Sedona. The unobstructed views are truly breathtaking. The road is unpaved but a car can easily make it with a little caution as long as it isn't a low riding sports car, a truck or an SUV would be the best. four wheel drive is not needed. Here's a link and if it looks good to you do a Google search for Schnebly Hill Road. Link.

You're welcome Sedona should be experienced without all the tourist stuff in the way.

Great advice, Tom! We rented a TomCar last time we were there and covered a fair amount of Shnebly Hill Rd, and a section of the Broken Arrow. We LOVE Sedona!

Thanks for this info. We've been to Sedona a few times and love it. I could see myself retiring there actually one day.

I will be out in November and may make this drive. I lived in Mesa for 15 years before moving to NY. My wife and I will spend at least one day in Sedona, and this drive looks really nice. Would be in a rental car, but it sounds like that should be ok for a drive like this. Funny, all the years I lived out there, I only went to Sedona a handful of times, and never knew about this back way in. Thanks for the tip :)

I will be out in November and may make this drive. I lived in Mesa for 15 years before moving to NY. My wife and I will spend at least one day in Sedona, and this drive looks really nice. Would be in a rental car, but it sounds like that should be ok for a drive like this. Funny, all the years I lived out there, I only went to Sedona a handful of times, and never knew about this back way in. Thanks for the tip :)

Happy to help. :biggrin:

Bad advice!!!!

I see a lot of people posting shots of Sedona Arizona. Living here I've been there many times and to me the very best way to go is Schnebly Hill Road off I-17. This route takes you in from the backside of Sedona. The unobstructed views are truly breathtaking. The road is unpaved but a car can easily make it with a little caution as long as it isn't a low riding sports car, a truck or an SUV would be the best. four wheel drive is not needed. Here's a link and if it looks good to you do a Google search for Schnebly Hill Road. Link.

FYI -- I just left Sedona this morning. Based on your advice, I took Schnebly Hill Road from I-17. With all due respect - You are leading people into a potentially VERY dangerous situation.

I drive a 2011 Subaru Outback, and drive LOTS of dirt roads without incident. My honest assessment is that I'm lucky (and shocked) to have my car, tires and suspension, survive without damage after taking this route. The last 6 miles (below the Vista) can only be described as a dried up creek bed! I've been driving for over 40 years and have NEVER seen a "road" like this one. Where I live, a road in that condition would be closed to ALL traffic. Other than me, the only other vehicles that I saw on the road were Hummers and Jeeps outfitted with off-roading tires - and THEY were struggling! The 12 mile drive took over 2 hours to get through. (I barely made it back to Sedona before sunset.)

I don't know if you thought that it would be funny to advise visitors to take this road. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and hope that your suggestion is based on some long ago visit to the area when the road might have been passable. As for right now, my advice to anyone considering this drive is DON'T DO IT.

FYI -- I just left Sedona this morning. Based on your advice, I took Schnebly Hill Road from I-17. With all due respect - You are leading people into a potentially VERY dangerous situation.

I drive a 2011 Subaru Outback, and drive LOTS of dirt roads without incident. My honest assessment is that I'm lucky (and shocked) to have my car, tires and suspension, survive without damage after taking this route. The last 6 miles (below the Vista) can only be described as a dried up creek bed! I've been driving for over 40 years and have NEVER seen a "road" like this one. Where I live, a road in that condition would be closed to ALL traffic. Other than me, the only other vehicles that I saw on the road were Hummers and Jeeps outfitted with off-roading tires - and THEY were struggling! The 12 mile drive took over 2 hours to get through. (I barely made it back to Sedona before sunset.)

I don't know if you thought that it would be funny to advise visitors to take this road. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and hope that your suggestion is based on some long ago visit to the area when the road might have been passable. As for right now, my advice to anyone considering this drive is DON'T DO IT.

The accusing nature isn't appreciated at all!!! P.M. me if you would like to discuss this farther. In fact please P.M. me no one accuses me of trying to put people in danger to be funny!!!!!

So...I was there over a year ago after my friend RODE HIS STREET BIKE without a problem and the time I went my wife's Ford Fiesta could have easily made it. We've had a lot of rain this Monsoon season and a big rain that went through just a couple weeks ago. Possibly that's the reason for it being washed out. I really can't make weekly road assessments so there you go.

No one take this route!!! Danger!!!!

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
We have driven the road in prior years and really enjoyed it. It truly is one of the best kept "secrets" about Sedona.

That said, we will be there mid-October and will check road conditions before making the drive. Regardless of where we go, we always check in with the local ranger station and/or visitor center for current info on various locations and roads before heading out to explore.

We have driven the road in prior years and really enjoyed it. It truly is one of the best kept "secrets" about Sedona.

That said, we will be there mid-October and will check road conditions before making the drive. Regardless of where we go, we always check in with the local ranger station and/or visitor center for current info on various locations and roads before heading out to explore.

Thank you for that the other poster was way out of line saying I put people in danger for fun. I would NEVER EVER do such a thing.

......Regardless of where we go, we always check in with the local ranger station and/or visitor center for current info on various locations and roads before heading out to explore.

Just to complete the picture, I did check with the Visitor Center in Sedona beforehand. They simply gave me directions to the road. Not one word was offered about road conditions.

.....I don't know if you thought that it would be funny to advise visitors to take this road. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and hope that your suggestion is based on some long ago visit to the area when the road might have been passable...

The accusing nature isn't appreciated at all!!! P.M. me if you would like to discuss this farther. In fact please P.M. me no one accuses me of trying to put people in danger to be funny!!!!!

No one take this route!!! Danger!!!!

I'm sorry if you took this as an accusation. If you had put your Ford Fiesta thru what my car went thru, you wouldn't have been happy either. I thought that I added that I was giving you the benefit of the doubt. (See above.)

Based on the number of people who responded positively to your recommendation, I thought that my experience on the road should be relayed to anyone considering taking the drive, and to issue a warning.

That's all that I was doing, and I'm done with this discussion.

Real Name
Chris
Yeah, I was out driving by Bloody Basin in my Mustang a few weeks back. Got high centered in some road silt, but friendly desert folk came along and helped me push my way out. Fear not, y'all!

I was there in May and I have to say this road can barely be called a road at this point there are huge rocks/boulders. We only went about a mile and a half and turned around. We were driving a Jeep Grand Cherokee. The only time a have been to something as bad as this was at the very end of the road to Toroweap and we might have turned around there but we had already traveled 60 miles and it was only less than a mile to the camp ground. There were Pink Jeep tours that rolled pass us so use them or if you want to drive it you need HIGH clearance to use the Schnebly Hill road. If we had been on motorcycles it would have been easier to navigate.

Yeah, I was out driving by Bloody Basin in my Mustang a few weeks back. Got high centered in some road silt, but friendly desert folk came along and helped me push my way out. Fear not, y'all!

I've driven that road many times also. I guess AZ people know how to drive off-road and a couple bumps are considered a well maintained road. :biggrin: :biggrin:

It's called the Desert SW, kids. July and August we see monsoons
where we can sometimes get a years worth of rain in a month. What
may have passed for a road a few weeks ago might be unrecognizable
as such today. It's always prudent to check-in with locals (rangers) for
current conditions anytime you plan on leaving the pavement. Been there.

Man, I wish I can see how 'scenic' this route is with pictures....:biggrin:

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom