1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Next version of Creative Suite drops PPC

Discussion in 'Apple/Mac' started by Clix Pix, Aug 13, 2009.

1. From here:

http://blogs.adobe.com/jnack/2009/08/goodnight_suite_risc.html

Goodnight, Suite RISC...
    It'll probably come as no surprise that Adobe is following Apple's lead & going Intel-only with the next generation of the Creative Suite. That is, CS4 is the last version that'll run on PowerPC-based Macs. You can read the details in the FAQ on Adobe.com.

By the time the next version of the Suite ships, the very youngest PPC-based Macs will be roughly four years old. They're still great systems, but if you haven't upgraded your workstation in four years, you're probably not in a rush to upgrade your software, either. Bottom line: Time & resources are finite, and with big transitions underway (going 64-bit-native, switching from Carbon to Cocoa), you want Adobe building for the future, not for the past.

[Previously: My fond reminiscences on PowerPC.]

PS--More info about other Adobe apps (Flash Player, Adobe Reader, etc.) will be available soon.

With Apple not supporting PPC machines with its upcoming release of Snow Leopard, it is not much of a surprise to see Adobe following suit. Of course the older machines can still work capably with CS, CS2, CS3 and CS4......

2. Julien

Julien

Jul 28, 2006
    Paris, France
    Lightroom will follow the same fate. Not that suprising since SN will be Intel only. Maybe that will finally make me change my PPC iMac G5 :biggrin:

3. Me too Julien, looking at a MBP and ACD currently.:smile::smile::wink:

4. My PPC G5 iMac still runs beautifully but has been eased into a gentle retirement over the past couple of years as I acquired and began using intel machines. I still keep my G5 up to date and will continue to do so, keep her ticking along, even if she won't have the pleasure of Snow Leopard installed....

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.