NH Foliage: Need gear suggestions

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by sonuj2, Sep 22, 2008.

1. sonuj2

sonuj2

May 11, 2006
    Naperville, IL
    We are planning on visiting New Hampshire during this fall and need suggestions from folks who are either local to this area or have done this in the past, on what lenses to carry to shoot the fall colors. We are planning on spending a couple of days in the North Conway/White Mountains area and will be doing the Kancamagus scenic road, then go up I-93/Rt.3 to Mt. Washington (maybe stop at Crawford Notch) and down to North Conway. We have also made reservations to take the 5 hr Conway Scenic Rail tour starting from No. Conway. Having said that I would like to know which lenses would best serve me on this trip. I have the following choices:

1. The all-purpose Nikkor 18-200VR one lens solution
    2. The Nikkor 17-55 2.8 + 70-200 2.8 VR combo
    3. The Nikkor 35-70.

I will be using a D2H although I also have my trusty D70.

Your thoughts and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

2. Connahhh

Connahhh

Oct 27, 2007
    NH
    17-55 70-200 combo without a doubt. Something wider would even be better. I live in New Hampshire and it's amazing during the fall.

Oh, and if you haven't already done so, learn how to make panoramas. :biggrin:

3. sonuj2

sonuj2

May 11, 2006
    Naperville, IL
    Thanks Connor. Unfortunately I do not have anything wider than 17. I will remember to atleast read up on panoramas so I will shoot with panoramas in mind.

4. Connahhh

Connahhh

Oct 27, 2007
    NH
    Check out AutoPano Pro. It's amazing software. I have no worries about shooting panoramas hand held, the stiching is that great. So if you don't want to lug a tripod everywhere, just snap away and let the software do the work later.

5. sonuj2

sonuj2

May 11, 2006
    Naperville, IL
    Thanks Connor, I will check it out. I was planning on using PTGui. Is one better than the other?

6. Connahhh

Connahhh

Oct 27, 2007
    NH
    I've never used it so I can't speak from experience. Are you planning on buying the software or do you already have it? If you already have it then I don't think I'd go out and buy AutoPano unless you were unhappy with the results.

7. sonuj2

sonuj2

May 11, 2006
    Naperville, IL
    I already have PTGui but I just wanted to try out the AutoPano one you are suggesting.

8. Connahhh

Connahhh

Oct 27, 2007
    NH
    I believe it has a free trial. I would stitch a hand held and tripod pano using both and compare. If AutoPano isn't noticeably better, I wouldn't worry about it.

9. this is very solid advice. Have a great trip!

10. Jaws

Jaws

Mar 27, 2007
    Columbia, MD
    Don't forget to bring a circular polarizer too.

11. sonuj2

sonuj2

May 11, 2006
    Naperville, IL
    Carrying a tripod is ruled out for me as I do not have a proper case to carry my Gitzo 1325 and will have baggage restrictions so I am just 'praying' for good weather and great light.

Thanks Dave.
    Thank you for the reminder on the CPL .... I would have definitely forgotten that one. I will also carry my graduated ND filter too, just in case.