Niagara Falls - 41st Floor View 12-24mm DX lens

Joined
May 3, 2005
Messages
3,925
Location
Owings Mills, MD
Hi All,

Another post from our vacation to Niagara Falls, Ontario, Canada. Hope you like this series, a view of Niagara Falls from the 41st floor of our hotel suite. These images were taken on the same day with my new 12-24mm DX lens. Comments are appreciated.

Oh, by the way, the images were taken through the window of the suite on a Bogen tripod. The view was breath taking. I tried to crop each image to the same location. The distortion is caused by the angle of the windows to the falls. Overall, its still a great view.

Day One 8:59 a.m.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)


Day One 11:14 a.m. The Maid of the Mist boats are visible betweent eh American (upper left) and Canadia Horseshoe (lower right) Falls.

View attachment 12991

Day One 9:53 p.m The xenon lamps are lit to illuminate the American and Canadian Falls. The colors change every few minutes until midnight.

View attachment 12992
 
Joined
Mar 31, 2005
Messages
14,469
Location
Toronto Canada
Beautiful shots, Crystall. Glad the weather co-operated for you. Amazing to get these pseudo-aerial shots from a hotel! Talk about a room with a view....
 
Joined
May 3, 2005
Messages
3,925
Location
Owings Mills, MD
TOLady said:
Beautiful shots, Crystall. Glad the weather co-operated for you. Amazing to get these pseudo-aerial shots from a hotel! Talk about a room with a view....
LOL! The room had a better view than Skylon Towers. Ouch! Glad you like the images. They are horizontally cropped about 35% from the original image. I plan to print them on roll fed 13 inch wide paper.
 
A

abek

Guest
Great shots, Crystall. I lived in Buffalo back in the early 80's and haven't been back to the Falls in a long time. I don't remember a hotel with such a comprehensive view back then. Must be a recent addition. You captured the scene very well. Should make a great print.
 
Joined
Jan 26, 2005
Messages
978
Location
Viera Fl
Oppps I thought this was the first set. Wanted to see them again they were so awsome.

Have been there but dont have many pics. Just a few.

Then I see these.

Wow spectacular.

This I never got to see,
 
Joined
May 3, 2005
Messages
3,925
Location
Owings Mills, MD
Last edited by a moderator:
Joined
May 3, 2005
Messages
3,925
Location
Owings Mills, MD
abek said:
Great shots, Crystall. I lived in Buffalo back in the early 80's and haven't been back to the Falls in a long time. I don't remember a hotel with such a comprehensive view back then. Must be a recent addition. You captured the scene very well. Should make a great print.
Hi,

Thank you for the kind feedback. These images were captured from the 41st floor of the Embassy Suites Hotel on the Canadian side. The hotel is less than 4 years old.
 
Joined
Jul 28, 2005
Messages
246
Hi Crystall.

Wonderfu set of shots here - I have to agree that was one amazing room you had there. I'm particularly fond of the night shot, but then I'm always fond of night shots :D

Great use of ultrawide. That 12-24 is a real keeper, ain't it? 8)

Steve
 
Joined
Jul 14, 2005
Messages
204
Location
Philadelphia, PA
I love the night shot, Crystall! My friend and I were actually going up there this Thursday, but we're having a change of plans now since we couldn't book a hotel in time. I really hope to go up there someday. It looks so beautiful from your shots.
 
Joined
May 3, 2005
Messages
3,925
Location
Owings Mills, MD
Wilk said:
Hi Crystall.

Wonderfu set of shots here - I have to agree that was one amazing room you had there. I'm particularly fond of the night shot, but then I'm always fond of night shots :D

Great use of ultrawide. That 12-24 is a real keeper, ain't it? 8)

Steve
Hi Steve,

I absolutely love the 12-24. My only regret is that I waited 18 months to purchase it. Glad you enjoyed the view. I tried to take a few telephoto shots of the falls with the 70-200VR+TC17EII. They weren't nearly as dramatic although you can clearly see the color projected on the falls. My mistake sadly enough...was that I forgot to disable the VR while my lens was mounted on the tripod....Ouch! :oops:
 
Joined
May 3, 2005
Messages
3,925
Location
Owings Mills, MD
nburwell said:
I love the night shot, Crystall! My friend and I were actually going up there this Thursday, but we're having a change of plans now since we couldn't book a hotel in time. I really hope to go up there someday. It looks so beautiful from your shots.
Hi Nick,

Thank you for the kind feedback. I hope you are able to get up there soon. The falls are glorious. This was my first attempt at night photography. I have a lot to learn. Hopefully we will return to the falls in 2007. 8)
 
Joined
Jan 29, 2005
Messages
3,423
Location
Edmonton, Alberta
Wowzer............ beautiful shots and beautiful view Crystall . I see you like your new 12-24mm gem!!
Beautifully taken!! I have been there several times, believe each time we stayed at Niagara on the Lake, did the boat ride and got drenched a couple times. To be at the bottom looking up is incredible. Futile to photograph as you just get drenched! LOL Awesome shots!
 
Joined
May 3, 2005
Messages
3,925
Location
Owings Mills, MD
Keith said:
Wowzer............ beautiful shots and beautiful view Crystall . I see you like your new 12-24mm gem!!
Beautifully taken!! I have been there several times, believe each time we stayed at Niagara on the Lake, did the boat ride and got drenched a couple times. To be at the bottom looking up is incredible. Futile to photograph as you just get drenched! LOL Awesome shots!
Loved every moment of the trip...especially the view! I look forward to returning. Unfortunately for my husband, I won't be satisfied unless we have this view. :twisted:

The 12-24mm was more than I expected. I am more than satisfied with it.
 
Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom