1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Niagara Gorge with 70-300mm VR

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by rwm1300n, Aug 2, 2007.

1. rwm1300n

rwm1300n

Mar 27, 2006
    Western NY
    Recently purchased a Nikon 70-300mm VR lens from Cafe member Peet. Put it through its paces today at the Niagara gorge and whirlpool. Must say it compares very favorably with my 300mm F4 and at half the cost and half the weight. All these pics are handheld with VR on at 300mm. Thanks Dave.

Whirlpool Jet Boat ride on lower Niagara River.

980789869_8e1a95719b_b.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

980551285_d35a7b2cf0_b.jpg

Spanish Aero Car traverses the NIagara whirlpool. It leaves from the Niagara Glen in Ontario

981788616_df5be42426_b.jpg

2. danmab

danmab

Apr 26, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Whoah, Bob
    1) Awesome pics -- nice and clean. I have the 70-300 VR as well, and it is on my D80 90% of the time.
    2) The "Whirlpool Jet" looks insane!

3. Dave

Dave

Feb 7, 2007
    Suwanee, GA
    Great shots Bob...I'm glad to see that the 70-300 VR has found a good home. I'm starting to save my pennies for the 300 f/2.8 VR now...I'm just too addicted to the fast glass unfortunately!

4. Gorgeous pics...almost tactile. In the right hands, that is some lens. Look down...those are the right hands. Congratulations!

5. What awesome shots these are!

I just got my 70-300mm VR and used it over the weekend while in St. Louis. Took shots of a jazz group from about 200 feet away at night and got some decent shots, though the color changes in the stage lights caused issues, had I been close, the shots would have been awesome. Mine came with dust inside the outer lens and not sure if this will make much difference as to needing to send the lens to Nikon to be cleaned out!? Irritating but true...:mad: 

Regards...Jim

6. McQ

McQ Just your average, everyday moderator. Moderator

Really impressive shots. Now I'm kicking myself for passing up that lens. The nice thing is I can still save up and get it. Thanks for sharing the pics.

7. McQ

McQ Just your average, everyday moderator. Moderator

Really impressive shots. Now I'm kicking myself for passing up that lens. The nice thing is I can still save up and get it. Thanks for sharing the pics.

8. Joyseeker

Joyseeker Guest

this is a really painful thread. just when i thought i made up my mind to buy this lens later i've got the urge to get it now again. :frown:

9. Dave,

It's a great lens and much lighter to carry than my "Pro Nikon" glass as a walk-around lens.

If you buy from a store, check the front lens area for dust as mine has two or three specs on the interior outer lens and on the next lens in. I am not sure if it will make a difference in my images as to whether I should send into Nikon to clean. Of course I am so dog-gone meticulous that it will bug me till I do.

Anyway, it's a great bit of glass!

Regards...Jim

10. kgill

kgill

Jul 25, 2007
    Europe
    wowowowowowowowowowowowow

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.