Nice Addition to Lightroom 2.0

Discussion in 'Nikon FX DSLR' started by davewolfs, Jul 29, 2008.

1. davewolfs

davewolfs

May 23, 2006
    For those of you who haven't had a chance to take a look at LR 2.0 I highly recommend it. A huge feature in my opinion is that we now have access to the default manufacturer profiles.

For example, you can now obtain the profiles such as standard, vivid, portrait, landscape and neutral that you are familiar with when using capture NX in LR. In short no need to tinker LR to make your images look like Capture NX.

Please see: http://labs.adobe.com/wiki/index.php/DNG_Profiles

2. fixed point

fixed point

Jan 24, 2007
    minneapolis
    I've been playing with the DNG profiles for D200 and D3 images this afternoon and I'm thrilled. I don't have time to upload samples now, but both the Lightroom 2 trial and the DNG profiles are free downloads.

I currently use Aperture because I strongly prefer it's interface, but the conversions in Lightroom with the DNG profiles are amazing. I really hope Apple will add support for this. It has me thinking of moving my library to Lightroom!

3. vinman

vinman

Nov 15, 2006
    Upstate SC
    The dng profiles? Is that the same as the camera profiles (I suspect not)? If not, do you have to build your own, or are they preset?

I'm LOVING the release version of LR2!!

4. fixed point

fixed point

Jan 24, 2007
    minneapolis
    I think they are the same as camera profiles.

5. Hmm does this include all aspects of the profiles in the camera like in camera sharpeing etc? Now that would be very nice!

6. Andreas,

After playing with the profiles for bit this evening, I don't think the new LR profiles include sharpening. They seem to emulate the default contrast, saturation and color curves very well though.

When I change from one profile to another, the sharpening values in LR2 do not change.

Warm Regards,

7. davewolfs

davewolfs

May 23, 2006
    The colors + contrast appear to be extremely similar by default. Sharpening can be adjusted using LR's separate sharpening mechanisms.

8. Yes, they include sharpening settings but these are not applied as the masking value is set to zero. Other settings I'm not aware of.

The new profiles do look nice but there is one advantage in NX2 that I really like and that is that I can selectively disable an edit step to see a quick before/after. I haven't found an easy way in LR to do this.

9. pointa-b-c

pointa-b-c

Mar 21, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Yes! Finally, it is such a pain to simulate camera's profile, now I am a truly happy camper! Wohoo! :Love::biggrin:

10. smodak

smodak

Jun 11, 2007
    Franklin MA US
    It actually works great!

Dave...thanks for pointing this out!!!!

11. cleoent

cleoent

Dec 21, 2007
    San Jose, Ca
    wow this is great!

Is there a way to get these to work with ACR and CS3?

12. Just make sure you have Camera RAW 4.5 and it will install there as well, it's not just for Lightroom 2.0.

13. CS3 updated ACR automagically when I started it.

14. jfrancis

jfrancis

May 8, 2005
    Orlando, FL
    Adobe really did a great job with these profiles. They appear VERY close to the color rendering in Capture NX. This will be a huge timesaver in my workflow.

15. AdamJ

AdamJ

Jan 28, 2008
    Aurora, IL
    I also highly recommend creating your own Camera Profile using two shots of a Color Checker (one close to 6500K and one 2850K). The resulting profile has proven to be much more accurate, and more useable in different light sources, then trying to use the ACR Calibration sliders. There is a tutorial on the DNG Profile Editor page that basically walks you through the process.

16. revoke99

revoke99

Jul 26, 2008
    Marina Del Rey
    Thanks for the info..I was thinking of purchasing it but now I think i'll get it for sure..

17. MMarz

MMarz

Sep 15, 2007
    Long Island, NY
  18. Am I understanding this correctly that LR2.0 is providing us a profile that we may choose to use, but it is still not actually reading the in-camera settings that are attached with the NEF file?

19. MMarz

MMarz

Sep 15, 2007
    Long Island, NY
    This is correct

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.