Critique Nice light on a GBH

These guys are actively gathering sticks for nest building.
All I had to do is pick a background and wait a little while- someone would show up.
Still trying to include a lot more environment in these images. I have plenty of close up herons, trying to get some backgrounds.
I have too many of these as well, but heck they are fun to shoot.
It was a nice morning floating around.
gary

Lake Eloise 12521  30242_DxO.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
WOW! I like this one a lot! To me it has a wonderful ratio of background to bird....if you know what I mean! LOL!

The light is beautiful and the bird really stands out, but the colorful and textured background seems as much or more of the subject than the bird!!!!

That diagonal tree limb sets off the vertical moss and foliage!

Last edited:
Thanks all.
I continue to go after theses environmental portraits. This gbh flew off the nest and luckily landed right where I hoped he would. The light and color were terrific.
This is one of those times I am shooting thinking "don't screw this up." Luckily I didn't. Starting out to be a nice bird season in florida
gary

That diagonal tree limb sets off the vertical moss and foliage!
Absolutely, that made the shot. I tried to move the image so the branch would come out more toward the corner- but any further to the right there were areas of open mottled sky that wrecked everything.
This area is pretty small, and the hardest part is to make it look big.
thanks again for the support
gary

Gorgeous, light , comp, autumn colors, the grey moss and the GBH all work together. Killer shot.

What kayak or boat are you using to drift into these scenes?

What kayak or boat are you using to drift into these scenes?
Nothing fancy- just the family 18' outboard deck boat.
I did rig it up with a nice trolling motor last spring- so I can silently slide just about anywhere. I need about 15" of water. I built a couple of 10' fiberglass poles to use as shallow anchors- so I can slowly creep in and then anchor down. They seen to forget I am there after a bit. It is a nice way to spend a morning.
gary

Nothing fancy- just the family 18' outboard deck boat.
I did rig it up with a nice trolling motor last spring- so I can silently slide just about anywhere. I need about 15" of water. I built a couple of 10' fiberglass poles to use as shallow anchors- so I can slowly creep in and then anchor down. They seen to forget I am there after a bit. It is a nice way to spend a morning.
gary
Sounds good, so something that you might use fishing the flats. Gives a much better platform and probably more comfortable than shooting from canoe or kayak.

Some of these areas are just too far from home to kayak. I have thought about motoring across, anchoring the boat and going the rest of the way by kayak.
The vast majority of my shots are above the water in the trees, so the boat is great- comfortable and stable.
When I need to get waterlevel, I will likely try the kayak for the last stretch.
Would give me something new to explore.
gary

Latest threads

Top Bottom