1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Nice option for networked storage....at home

Discussion in 'General Technical Discussion' started by williadw, Sep 15, 2008.

1. I just picked up a Linksys Networked Storage System last week on sale at Office Max that lets you put in 2 HD's. It is no screamer in copying files but it is fast enough for it's cost. I got it on sale for 79.00.

I had a 500gb HD sitting here and bought another one to put in that was on sale for like 89.00. I can access the HD from any internet connection and is password protected. I can share and unshare folders remotely as well.

I mainly got it so my kids could store all their pictures and files on it and save disk space on their laptops, but I am using it to backup pictures from my main photo hard drive.

The only thing I don't like about it is that the internal drives are formatted by the device as fat 32. It will not work with NTSF on the internal drives.

You can, however, plug in any external USB drive (ntfs or fat32 formatted), or a flash memory thumb drive and share/network that as well.

I pulled up some pictures from work today on it and they loaded faster than they did from the SmugMug website, which was surprising to me.

A device to consider for anyone looking for some networkable storage at home. I though some of you might be interested.

http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Sate...nksys/Common/VisitorWrapper&lid=8301433766B01

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.