Nick by Garage Light

Discussion in 'People' started by j_b_l, Apr 22, 2007.

1. OK, So I figured I would try out this garage light stuff to see what all the hub-ub was about. ISO100, 1/250, f1.8.

So maybe I should park my cars outside the garage more often...:wink:
  2. I think you should... the DOF is pretty spot on. Is this the 85?
  3. Looks good to me! He's got great eyes... you should shoot more of him.
  4.'s the only lens I have that goes that low...I thought I was at 1.4, but when I checked EXIF it said 1.8...oh well...:rolleyes:
  5. Sandi, thanks...he's such a ham that it's hard to get him in a somewhat serious pose...but I managed to squeak on it on him...
  6. Yep, a lot of us are parking our cars outside more often now. Mother nature does some nice lighting John, his eyes really sparkle.
  7. Thx, Gordon...
  8. Ottrott's Human

Ottrott's Human

May 21, 2006
    Now you see what all the hub-bub is about!:smile: It's a great place to shoot and your portrait of Nick is a great example of why. You may be fortunate to have accidentally set the aperture to 1.8. At 1.4 most likely one of the eyes would have been obviously OOF.:biggrin:

I usually set this lens to f/2 for garage shots. It seems to be the best setting for reasonable DOF and nice background blur.

Great work John!! Glad to see a new portrait from you!
  9. I'll try f2 next time...I also need to work on the was too bright, so I think I need to move farther in...

10. frede

Dec 9, 2006
    Princeton, NJ
    Very nice shot John. I've been meaning to give the old garage a try myself.
  11. Excellent John!
  12. Thanks, Fred. I don't have any reflectors, but I'm going to order one tomorrow. Should help with capturing some light underneath...but who knows...this turned out pretty good...
  13. Thanks, Dave!
  14. frede

Dec 9, 2006
    Princeton, NJ
    I used my new 42" Photoflex 5-in-1 yesterday for the first time - shot a little girl in her Communion dress. Her parents asked me not to post the images, but the reflector really worked well. Not cheap at $100, but a very high quality product. I highly recommend it.
  15. Fred, great minds think alike...that's just the one I'm going to order...