1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Nick & Lisa's Wedding

Discussion in 'Formal Portraits and Weddings' started by reignmkr, Sep 25, 2008.

1. So a fellow colleague and now new/good friend hired me to shoot their wedding. I purchased a 20-35/2.8 and 35-70/2.8 from fellow cafe members to support this endeavor. It was a fabulous wedding. I was estimating 200-250 keepers but ended up with 600+!:biggrin:

I hope to do one more wedding by the end of the year, to pay for a 70-200. Your input would be greatly appreciated. Specificity is key for this critique. Enjoy and TIA.

p471849713-4.

View attachment 257117

View attachment 257118

View attachment 257119

View attachment 257120

View attachment 257121

View attachment 257122

View attachment 257123

View attachment 257124

2. tjk60

tjk60

Dec 4, 2007
    troy, mi
    I like the cake pic and the groom pic is nice too.

The bridal party doesn't do it for me, to many blown highlight, especially the dress. To bad, looks like some pretty bridesmaids!

3. bradNYC

bradNYC

Mar 28, 2008
    NYC
    I like them but to me on my computer
    #3 overexposed on the white dress, assuming you got blown highlights
    WB off on indoor pics, she looks kind of yellow/dark considering the earlier pics she got very light skin

4. Thanks Tim, I was afraid of that. Any ideas on how I may correct some of the blown highlights in CS3?

5. I used the warming effect on my lightsphere in some of reception photos. The entire hall used mostly candle lights in each table. It was very low light and I thought a regular flash would be too much and make the WB to bright.

6. With #3, I found the black dresses were throwing out my metering to make the white wedding dress blown out. How may I have avoided this?

7. tjk60

tjk60

Dec 4, 2007
    troy, mi
    Always meter the wedding dress! It's the most important thing!

Did you shoot RAW? you can recover a bit with that, and maybe use dodge/burn tool to recover a bit more.

8. leahp26

leahp26

Apr 28, 2008
    Southern NH
    Great series.

#2 Love the composition. If you were making some kind of custom cover hard back book this would make a great wrap around cover

#4 (groomsmen) looks a little flat/underexposed?

#7&8 skin tones looks a little off - maybe too red? I'm not good at this but they don't look quite right. I think #8 may also be interesting in b/w

#6 (fisheye) - can you crop/rotate so the line of the roof is straight. It slopes down to the left and is a bit distracting

9. TCMony

TCMony

Jul 20, 2006
    McDonough GA
    These are great shots. I am sure you have more with the Brides maids. I am not a wedding photographer but if I shot this wedding I would make sure to have shot some images with bride surrounded by her friends. There are so many that you new equipment would do the trick. Great shots.

10. Hi Randy. Here is my critique:

1. I am not sure what I am supposed to be looking at here. A tigher crop or some bokeh would have been nice to draw some attention to whatever is it you are trying to show us.

2. The composition is strong, but I want to see more detail in those mountains. The sky can use more pop by making it a bit more blue and darkening it a bit as well.

3. Nice shot of the bridal party, but way over exposed.

4. Opposite of the bridal party, this one is underexposed.

5. It would have been stronger if you could have evoked a little of emotion out of him. It also looks kind of flat. Needs a contrast adjustment.

6. I have a fisheye lens that stays in my bag most of the time. The only time I use it is if I can make use of the lines in the composition to enhance my photo, instead of using it for the sake of using it. The groom looking the other way ruins the photo because everyone else is looking at you.

7. Tones are too red and a bit underexposed.

8. There's that emotion I was talking about. Fix the redness and bump up the exposure and it's a winner.

9. Lovely detail shot. Nothing distracting in the shot and the lighting looks awesome.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.