Critique Nick's (Palouse) 52 week project 2020: WEEK 13

I had week = 7 days in my head, and have not looked at a calendar this year, so, a bit late out of the starting blocks.
But that gave me time to think. As stated earlier, I don't have specific goals or a singular theme to work with. Rather a diffuse, undefined, general, and evolving approach will "guide" me.

It snowed today. Wet, nasty stuff. So like our mail carrier, I went out into the muck with my Z6 and my Nikon Café hat.

1. This illustrates my approach to this 52 week project. Ideas come from all sides, some die out, some are better defined. The distant future is foggy (at best) and will evolve as I follow the various tracks I see before me now and reverse course if needed. Where am I going?
View attachment 1652725

2. Focusing only on today's goal with tunnel vision can make me short sighted and I fail to see where the end is. I wander around an accessible shot and wander back out of the scene, wondering what I have learned.

View attachment 1652724

3. I need to keep today in focus (OK, the foot print is rather mushy and lacking in crispness. . .) and place one foot in front of the other and rinse and repeat!

View attachment 1652723
Nice winter shots - I really love one there is something really special about it.

The promised return of winter and the foot of snow did materialize. These are views out of the window at the top of our stairs that featured in Day 7 of my Octoberfest (https://www.nikoncafe.com/threads/2...afs-50mm-f-1-8-g-–-october-31st.318688/page-5)

Breakfast turned into brunch, but I should take my camera for a walk. The exercise will do us both good.

View attachment 1653223

View attachment 1653224
More winter shots (y) I prefer 2 the framing adds a little extra.
Here in Denmark we're supposed to have winter now but we haven't had snow or frost yes... feels like a very long fall with lots of rain.

I'll start week 3 with a shot from a series I made yesterday while working with my extension rings. This was with the 18mm ring.
I'm not sure of the framing/crop.

1. Smoke and Mirrorless.
View attachment 1653623

2. Smoke and Mirrorless—version 2
View attachment 1653624
Really cool shots here - the composition of the first is spot on

Week 4

Another week when my original plans and plan B had to get tossed out.
I'd planned to walk around neighborhoods and photograph snowmen, snow creatures, forts, etc. But the snow turned to rain and the white stuff became inhospitable and I stayed home, dry and warm :cool:

Plan B. Go downtown at night and catch the lights reflected in the wet streets, something I've long wanted to do. We headed out around 2:30 in the afternoon and it was dry. So the wife and I popped into a new wine shop/wine bar (more about that in a minute) to wait until dark and to drink to the rain gods. No luck. So I took a quick shot of the drug scene downtown and meandered home.

1. Drugs on the streets of Moscow.
View attachment 1654196

Plan C presented itself to me this morning.

For the past 40 years, the Wine Company of Moscow has been my home away from home. I even worked there in the 1980's. But the owners were aging and the place needed a remake and an infusion of money. That didn't happen, and at 5 pm on December 31 it closed for good. But Terry the manager had a few tricks left up his sleeve. He'd been meeting quietly for months with the owners of a new wine bar, Vīn, that was due to open sometime this spring and agreed to move all his unsold wine, beer, foods and most fixtures to their place half a block away. That promoted the wine bar to rethink their business model and they opened on January 1, 2020 as a wine bar and a wine store. Terry and 2 of his staff now work at Vīn. Our wine tasting group (that has meet every 2 weeks for the past 40 years) now has a new home and life goes on.
Cleaning out the old Wine Co. Terry found lots of rather old orphaned beer bottles (Christmas beers from the 1980's, and others not quite as old.) So Terry solicited my help, professional that I still am, and we opened and tasted and mostly poured out some 150 bottles of old, dead beer this afternoon.
I'd planned to bring my camera along, knowing that drinking and photography don't mix well for me. But on my way out the door I realized that The Eighteenth Amendment to the US constitution was ratified on January 16, 1919, and went into effect one year later, on January 17, 1920, almost 100 years to the day. Prohibition :(:mad::eek::barefoot:

2. Prohibition starts again in Moscow.
View attachment 1654197
3. Filling up fast.
View attachment 1654198
4. Almost full

View attachment 1654199

Now, we could have dumped those 10 gallons of dead beer down the sink behind us, but we came up with a better idea— a reenactment of a classic prohibition-era dumping of alcohol down the drain while the cops look on, hands on their holsters. Well, next door to the Wine Co. is the Moscow Police Station, but after a quick inquiry we learned that all the officers were busy at the time. So we took the law into our own hands and walked down the alley to the nearest drain and dumped our spoils there. It just so happens that that nearest manhole is right next to the Police Station.

3. Temperance in full force.

View attachment 1654201

3b
View attachment 1654202
3c
View attachment 1654203

Hopefully I'll be around for the 100 anniversary of the 21st Amendment. 🍷🥃🍻
Very nice night shot on 1 - the caption suits perfect
Fun series and great story - what a waste 😊

Wet, cold and windy for most of the week. Sun occasional today, but with a biting wind. Since a flea-infected rodent in Pennsylvania had the audacity to signal the end of winter, I trudged through the yard looking for signs of spring. The tree rats were on the back fence sunning themselves and in no mood to be photographed (and I was too lazy to go and get the 200-500), and I did hear some Nuthatches chittering away out of sight.
I did finally find some buds: the climbing Hydrangea looked good but was in a very windy spot. But the Azalea beckoned. With the 24-70 at f/4 (so I could sacrifice dof) and mounted on 29mm of Mieke extension rings I carefully moved in for a few closeups. A bit of cropping some artsy work on Nik ColorEfex and I have a couple of shots to show for my work.

Note to self: tripod and experiment with dof.

View attachment 1654723

View attachment 1654724
Beautiful close-ups here(y) both are really great

Thanks, Morten; while 1-3 pictures a week doesn't sound like much, it makes for a lot of thinking, both before and especially after sharing pictures. What a great way to learn and improve!

I spent a rainy weekend playing with the menu settings on my Z6. One that I like a lot is the ability to manually fine tine focus while in AF modes.
With the lens/camera in AF mode (and the the focus ring assigned to focus via F2) press and hold the AF-On button (set for Back button focus) and turn the focusing ring on the lens—you'll have complete control of the focusing operation along with focus peaking (if it is set up)—and the focus box will turn green.

Here are 3 versions of the same photo (2 are crops) of a rubber plant in a ray of sunshine. I was able to tweak the focus (hand held) to focus rather precisely on the cobweb.

1 Full frame.
W6-002_DxO-1.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

2 About a 50% crop (I guess). Cobwebs and dust, oh my
W6-002_DxO.jpg

3 The dust on the cobweb!!
W6-002_Nik_DxO.jpg

Last edited:

kilofoxtrott

European Ambassador
Real Name
Klaus
I spent a rainy weekend playing with the menu settings on my Z6. One that I like a lot is the ability to manually fine tine focus while in AF modes.
With the lens/camera in AF mode (and the the focus ring assigned to focus via F2) press and hold the AF-On button (set for Back button focus) and turn the focusing ring on the lens—you'll have complete control of the focusing operation along with focus peaking (if it is set up)—and the focus box will turn green.

Here are 3 versions of the same photo (2 are crops) of a rubber plant in a ray of sunshine. I was able to tweak the focus (hand held) to focus rather precisely on the cobweb.

1 Full frame.
View attachment 1655114

2 About a 50% crop (I guess). Cobwebs and dust, oh my
View attachment 1655115

3 The dust on the cobweb!!View attachment 1655116
:wideyed: :wideyed: :wideyed:

Well Nick,
is there a itsy bitsy spider enclosed inside your lens? ;):):D

I like these pictures a lot.The colors are tremendous.

Kind regards
Klaus

Real Name
Chris
Very cool Nick! I like how you combined learning with your post for this week. Not only does it give me some cool photos to admire but also a chunk of knowledge to work towards!

Week 4

Another week when my original plans and plan B had to get tossed out.
I'd planned to walk around neighborhoods and photograph snowmen, snow creatures, forts, etc. But the snow turned to rain and the white stuff became inhospitable and I stayed home, dry and warm :cool:

Plan B. Go downtown at night and catch the lights reflected in the wet streets, something I've long wanted to do. We headed out around 2:30 in the afternoon and it was dry. So the wife and I popped into a new wine shop/wine bar (more about that in a minute) to wait until dark and to drink to the rain gods. No luck. So I took a quick shot of the drug scene downtown and meandered home.

1. Drugs on the streets of Moscow.
View attachment 1654196

Plan C presented itself to me this morning.

For the past 40 years, the Wine Company of Moscow has been my home away from home. I even worked there in the 1980's. But the owners were aging and the place needed a remake and an infusion of money. That didn't happen, and at 5 pm on December 31 it closed for good. But Terry the manager had a few tricks left up his sleeve. He'd been meeting quietly for months with the owners of a new wine bar, Vīn, that was due to open sometime this spring and agreed to move all his unsold wine, beer, foods and most fixtures to their place half a block away. That promoted the wine bar to rethink their business model and they opened on January 1, 2020 as a wine bar and a wine store. Terry and 2 of his staff now work at Vīn. Our wine tasting group (that has meet every 2 weeks for the past 40 years) now has a new home and life goes on.
Cleaning out the old Wine Co. Terry found lots of rather old orphaned beer bottles (Christmas beers from the 1980's, and others not quite as old.) So Terry solicited my help, professional that I still am, and we opened and tasted and mostly poured out some 150 bottles of old, dead beer this afternoon.
I'd planned to bring my camera along, knowing that drinking and photography don't mix well for me. But on my way out the door I realized that The Eighteenth Amendment to the US constitution was ratified on January 16, 1919, and went into effect one year later, on January 17, 1920, almost 100 years to the day. Prohibition :(:mad::eek::barefoot:

2. Prohibition starts again in Moscow.
View attachment 1654197
3. Filling up fast.
View attachment 1654198
4. Almost full

View attachment 1654199

Now, we could have dumped those 10 gallons of dead beer down the sink behind us, but we came up with a better idea— a reenactment of a classic prohibition-era dumping of alcohol down the drain while the cops look on, hands on their holsters. Well, next door to the Wine Co. is the Moscow Police Station, but after a quick inquiry we learned that all the officers were busy at the time. So we took the law into our own hands and walked down the alley to the nearest drain and dumped our spoils there. It just so happens that that nearest manhole is right next to the Police Station.

3. Temperance in full force.

View attachment 1654201

3b
View attachment 1654202
3c
View attachment 1654203

Hopefully I'll be around for the 100 anniversary of the 21st Amendment. 🍷🥃🍻
Great pics and such a cool story to boot, I enjoyed that. Well done, amazing you came up with the prohibition connection.

WEEKS 7 & 8

I managed to miss last week, so I decided to make it up this week. The sun was out, and so were the birds for the first time this year, all morning and I decided to catch some rays and make some vitamin D, with my trusty long lens by my side. Only the tree rats obliged, but they were being good and useful—cleaning up the seeds that had fallen from the bird feeders all winter. I did try animal eye focus but only one shot gave me a yellow box ;). However the new auto area subject tracking work very well. Shot with a monopod, VR on.

W8011_DxO.jpg

W8029_DxO.jpg

W8035_DxO.jpg

W8038_DxO.jpg

W8041_DxO.jpg

W8068_DxO.jpg

W8072_DxO.jpg

I did make a short but fun side trip into the world of focus stacking. I posted those elsewhere, but didn't feel like double posting here. Focus stacking is rather intoxicating, but I need to have sole possession of the dining table/dining room :)

I've been following all the posts about focus stacking and at this point it sounds still a bit more than I am prepared to venture into..... I'm not that patient! Maybe in the future if there is a magical firmware update that comes out that makes it all super-easy for me, no calculations involved, no trying to later merge the results in software, I'll try it!

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom