Critique Nick's (Palouse) 52 week project 2020: WEEK 13

That took me a while to accept. I was always in awe of folks who had amazing wildlife to shoot, or like you, new places every few days. I need to slow down and BREATH and focus. I did promise to take notes of my progress.

That is something which I've been working on over more than the past little while....the ability to glance at something and then to look at it again more closely and to realize that, hey, here's a photo op! I first started trying to develop and hone those skills years ago when I was doing a POTD (365) project which I never completed. I didn't finish that challenge, something I still regret, but I did come away with a much more keenly developed sense of always being on alert for that potential subject, that interesting perspective, whatever, and through the years, shooting or not shooting, it has stuck with me......

I can look around my house and spot things which could be interesting as photo subjects, I can go to the grocery store or the drugstore and see something which again arouses that awareness..... Can't and don't always act on it at the time, but I do stash it away in my mental card catalog for future retrieval later..... Sometimes I'll see something and immediately grab the iPhone as a testing mechanism, firing off a few shots just to see if the idea is even feasible in the first place. Sometimes that works, sometimes it does not. If it doesn't, then I know not to bother getting out the heavy artillery.

Right now I'm pretty much hanging out at home, not going outside all that much, so no new interesting and exciting new locales to shoot, and so I look around here to see what could be a possibility. I try to create something interesting out of something very ordinary. I experiment with new ideas and techniques to see what happens. The results can be very surprising!

When I do travel, yes, I definitely am on the lookout for new and interesting things to shoot everywhere! When I do go out wandering along the boardwalk and around my community in warmer weather there are often great opportunities for capture: wildlife on the water and wildlife on the land. I haven't had much success over the past several months capturing our local tree rats but it's more because I haven't been out there that much yet; come warmer weather, those little guys will be right in my sights.....

Real Name
Bill Mellen
WEEKS 7 & 8
I managed to miss last week, so I decided to make it up this week. The sun was out, and so were the birds for the first time this year, all morning and I decided to catch some rays and make some vitamin D, with my trusty long lens by my side. Only the tree rats obliged, but they were being good and useful—cleaning up the seeds that had fallen from the bird feeders all winter. I did try animal eye focus but only one shot gave me a yellow box ;). However the new auto area subject tracking work very well. Shot with a monopod, VR on.
Great squirrel shots Nick!

The animal eye detection works on Lily and Rose when their faces are well lit. In shadow when the contrast goes down, it seems to take its time....

WEEK 9

A tale of a tail!
(Tree rats, part 2). These with the TC1.4E II and on a tripod.

TRats071_DxO.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

TRats072_DxO.jpg

TRats073_DxO.jpg

TRats074_DxO.jpg

5. And one for Connie—my slinky is used to squirrel-proof my bird feeder post. Tree rats can't climb up it; and they learn fast.

TRats009_DxO.jpg

Last edited:
Real Name
Bill Mellen
Great tree rat series Nick! #1 is my pick based on the pose and positioning of the hind feet.

And thanks for the tip on using the Slinky as a squirrel deterrent. My only problem is that Mary enjoys feeding squirrels and raccoons :)

Very cute close up indeed Nick. I like #4 best because of the position of the tail among the first four. The bright half parts in the BGs of those four bother me a bit, so if those were mine I would try vertical crops.

Very cute close up indeed Nick. I like #4 best because of the position of the tail among the first four. The bright half parts in the BGs of those four bother me a bit, so if those were mine I would try vertical crops.
Thanks. Good idea on the crops, but I prefer to keep the breathing room in front of the animal.

WEEK 10

When Plan A fails, and you have no Plan B, the unprepared PAN!

Nasty weather dampened my enthusiasm for a photo walk. So I stood in the basement door and tried to pan in the direction of the falling snow hoping to get a collection of sharp snow flakes and blurred backgrounds. Instead, I got . . .

1. Looks like white and green Ponderosa Pine needles. Got the direction right but not the speed of the pan or the shutter.

2. Love the little curly things--the snow was swirling a lot.

3. My favorite.

4. Reminds me of icicles, until you notice the Spruce trees behind 'em. Kinda cool, literally!

The other 50 or so quickly made friends with the trash can. While panning L-R is rather easy (and natural) controlling the speed of a top to bottom pan is hard to manage.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom