Critique Nick's (Palouse) 52 week project 2020: WEEK 30

Dedicated, capable, lazy or washed out? We'll know in a year.

I'm jumping into the 52 week challenge for 2020.

I need to get off my duff and shooting more, be more consistent, and learn in a more organized fashion. I need to develop or improve on my style/s. I need feedback. And above all, I need to have fun.

I'll use my D850 and Z6 with all the glass I have and attempt to justify their place in my bags.

Hopefully I'll do all you long-distance survivors proud--you've set a high bar.

Have fun, Nick! A few years ago I tried a 365/POTD project and then one day in October simply threw in the towel and said, "I can't do this any more!" Throughout that year there were many days I didn't have inspiration or wasn't in the mood to shoot or didn't have time to shoot but forced myself to do it anyway, and also the fact that I was posting each day on here for public consumption got to me after a while as well; I got bogged down by the unrealistic idea that each image had to be perfect, to be outstanding, interesting and intriguing, to be something worthy of viewing...... So, yeah, setting that kind of bar for myself, well, in the end just didn't work for me. Since then a few times I've briefly entertained the notion of doing a 52-week project but have the feeling that sooner or later I'd again run into (self-inflicted, in my own head) roadblocks of one sort or another and then once again at some point "hit the wall" and just give up.

The concept of a 365/POTD or a 52-Week project is really cool, though, and for those who do have the stamina to actually carry it all the way through it must be very rewarding!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks all. Back a "few" years ago, in my running days, it was clear that took a fool to start a marathon and a special fool to finish one. I finished all that I started, not always gracefully.
I'll take motivation from your work and comments!

2020 is wide open, and you have a new system to showcase!
I know.....I've got one day to make up my mind! LOL! However, if I did this I probably would not use just the one camera and three lenses, I'd use whatever was at hand: iPhone, RX10 IV, RX100 VII.... Hm.... Maybe I will consider the 52 weeks thing this time; somehow that seems less daunting than a photo each and every single day......

I've just spent some time going through that 365/POTD thread that I did (but never finished) way back in 2009..... Wow, talk about a walk down Memory Lane! It did also nudge me further towards the idea of doing a 52-week one this time..... That offers more flexibility in that one can simply share one image per week or if it's been a great shooting week, several during that week, without the inherent constraints of having to provide a fresh image each and every day. I'm getting more and more interested in the idea now.....and, hey, I've got to justify having bought that new gear, right?! Gotta use the stuff frequently, not just now-and-then! All too often it is tempting during wintertime to hibernate and let the camera gear hibernate as well, which really isn't a good idea.....

kilofoxtrott

European Ambassador
Real Name
Klaus
I know.....I've got one day to make up my mind! LOL! However, if I did this I probably would not use just the one camera and three lenses, I'd use whatever was at hand: iPhone, RX10 IV, RX100 VII.... Hm.... Maybe I will consider the 52 weeks thing this time; somehow that seems less daunting than a photo each and every single day......
Go, Connie, Go!
I'm looking forward to your pictures.

All the best for the new year
Klaus

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I had week = 7 days in my head, and have not looked at a calendar this year, so, a bit late out of the starting blocks.
But that gave me time to think. As stated earlier, I don't have specific goals or a singular theme to work with. Rather a diffuse, undefined, general, and evolving approach will "guide" me.

It snowed today. Wet, nasty stuff. So like our mail carrier, I went out into the muck with my Z6 and my Nikon Café hat.

1. This illustrates my approach to this 52 week project. Ideas come from all sides, some die out, some are better defined. The distant future is foggy (at best) and will evolve as I follow the various tracks I see before me now and reverse course if needed. Where am I going?
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

2. Focusing only on today's goal with tunnel vision can make me short sighted and I fail to see where the end is. I wander around an accessible shot and wander back out of the scene, wondering what I have learned.

3. I need to keep today in focus (OK, the foot print is rather mushy and lacking in crispness. . .) and place one foot in front of the other and rinse and repeat!

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom