Critique Nick's (Palouse) 52 week project 2020: WEEK 31

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Hi Nick. If you cropped the bright ferns in the FG of the 3rd image ,the whole attention would be on the two bright ferns and the image might look nicer.
Thanks for a great suggestion, Binnur. I had the same thought when I took the shot but felt the tree needed the ferns below it to make it have the weight and emphasis it brings to the shot. Also, the layer of bright foreground ferns adds to the layering that I was looking for. I did dim the foreground a bit.
I replaced the original with this re-edited version, I took out the bright bare stick that dominated the foreground and ever so slightly darkened the ferns there. Better balance and a cleaner composition, I think.

WEEK 26

1. Shortly after dinner on the patio earlier this week the light turned silvery and gave a nice glow to these bells. The fence-in-need-of-painting in the back made for a nice rustic, no care feel (despite the stiff breeze).
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

2. An intense storm at sunset tonight turned the landscape bronze. I caught this from the front door.

3. The patio was even more dramatic.

Last edited:

kilofoxtrott

European Ambassador
Real Name
Klaus
Thanks Klaus. Had I been a braver, younger man I may have gone out in the rain in search of better scenery.
I know that...
I had a 4 hour shooting with a model yesterday. It was fun but coming home I was merely dead. Shot about 1,300 pictures and now it's PC time.

Kind regards
Klaus

Hey, Terri, you could start a 52-Week thread on July 1st and run through June 30 2021....!

I really am enjoying my 52-weeks project, and am finding that it works much better for me than trying to do a Photo-of-the-Day one, which was just a little too demanding when I had to absolutely each and every day shoot something, and I always felt it had to be meaningful, interesting, etc., etc. With a weekly project, I shoot as I please during the week, some days I shoot more than others, some days I might not shoot anything at all, and then at the end of the week I look over what I've done, pick out a few images -- usually no more than five, although during Week 26 I shot a lot more than usual and also thought it would be fun to commemorate and acknowledge the halfway mark of the year as well, so posted ten images. In Week 27 I'll be back to the usual five or six, though, as I know ten images is a lot for people to look through.

Anyway, Terri, jump in and join us! The water's fine..... :)

Catching up on your last posts w24-26

w24: 3 love the simplicity - 5 great shot with the stand-out red color
w25: looks like a nice hike - beatiful nature
w26: lovely color combination on 1 and what a beautiful bronze sunset.

Excellent work Nick (y)

Wonderful golden light, we occasionally get that intense copper light. Also really nice work on the flowers against the fence really like it as presented , but I'd probably play with it with some of the PS file like the oil paint or watercolor.

WEEK 27

We've had a lot of rain and cool weather. I took these in a lull between storms just incase the deluge continued.

1. Wet Native Dogwood leaf.

2. Bee bait!

3. We have a large, old Walnut tree in our back yard. Walnut trees are Allelopathic, that is they prevent many other plants from growing beneath them. Our squirrels however, love the tree.

WEEK 28

Finally made it!
Between having to introduce myself to a new MBP and OS when my trusty 2012 MBP died a sudden death and having to copy 100s of old family photographs for my wife I never got around to shooting for me.

Back in May I posted a picture of our Silver Dollar plants in bloom (https://www.nikoncafe.com/threads/2020-spring-meme-day-1-may-1st.322032/#post-4086808 ). These are a a biennial that flowers every 2 years. They have now gone to seed.

1. What they look like now.
W28-005_DxO.jpg

2. Some invaded some open space in some acidic soil below the Spruce trees and they get a whole lot more sun. They sure look different.
W28-007_DxO.jpg

3. Close up and back lit.
W28-001_DxO.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom