Critique Nick's (Palouse) 52 week project 2020: WEEK 39

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
WEEK 29

Summer finally arrived (or was it spring deciding to leave?) but it got to 89F today. Rather than eating out on the patio we turned on the AC and enjoyed a red wine with dinner in the dining room. As has been our style for a long, long time, we light a couple of candles -- not that we needed them today (see the bright window blind on the west facing window in #1!) Some people play with their food, I play with candles. The contrast and mystery spoke to me here:

1. Dark and cool . . .

W29-001_DxO.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

2. Framed to miss the window

W29-005_DxO.jpg

3. B&W conversion with some yellow/red filter tweaking.
W29-004_DxO.jpg

For those needing to know, the candle holders are from Bybee Pottery near Middletown, Kentucky. It's been in business since 1809.

really like the color shots of the candles.
Thanks! It made up for the rather bland looking meal!

The B&W image looks better compositionally in my opinion.
I agree, I actually looked at the scene through the EVF with the Picture Control set to B&W, and that convinced me to convert.

Looks so cozy and inviting no matter what the season is.
Yup. We started this as a way to wind down at the end of hectic days, and now we pair it with music, even though we're both happily retired!

WEEK 28

Finally made it!
Between having to introduce myself to a new MBP and OS when my trusty 2012 MBP died a sudden death and having to copy 100s of old family photographs for my wife I never got around to shooting for me.

Back in May I posted a picture of our Silver Dollar plants in bloom (https://www.nikoncafe.com/threads/2020-spring-meme-day-1-may-1st.322032/#post-4086808 ). These are a a biennial that flowers every 2 years. They have now gone to seed.

1. What they look like now.
View attachment 1665669

2. Some invaded some open space in some acidic soil below the Spruce trees and they get a whole lot more sun. They sure look different.
View attachment 1665670

3. Close up and back lit.
View attachment 1665668
Very interesting plant - and really great shots. Nice work with the back lighting

WEEK 29

Summer finally arrived (or was it spring deciding to leave?) but it got to 89F today. Rather than eating out on the patio we turned on the AC and enjoyed a red wine with dinner in the dining room. As has been our style for a long, long time, we light a couple of candles -- not that we needed them today (see the bright window blind on the west facing window in #1!) Some people play with their food, I play with candles. The contrast and mystery spoke to me here:

1. Dark and cool . . .

View attachment 1666015

2. Framed to miss the window

View attachment 1666017

3. B&W conversion with some yellow/red filter tweaking.
View attachment 1666016

For those needing to know, the candle holders are from Bybee Pottery near Middletown, Kentucky. It's been in business since 1809.
I really like the BW version EXCELLENT 👍

WEEK 30

I'm behind—blame it on projects around the house, hot weather, and more projects around the house.

I've been copying old photos for my wife—she's deep in to genealogical research and had me copy 100+ old photos. Some were a snap, others snapped me! Then there was her great grandfathers Norwegian Bible.

1. Bible. 9 image stack, one flash above opposite the camera, with a grid and medium amber gel. Second flash camera left, also gelled and lighting the spine and page bottoms. Small LCD lamp aimed at bottom of book to cool the color. The Bible is 8" thick and weighs a ton or 2.

WEEK 30

I'm behind—blame it on projects around the house, hot weather, and more projects around the house.

I've been copying old photos for my wife—she's deep in to genealogical research and had me copy 100+ old photos. Some were a snap, others snapped me! Then there was her great grandfathers Norwegian Bible.

1. Bible. 9 image stack, one flash above opposite the camera, with a grid and medium amber gel. Second flash camera left, also gelled and lighting the spine and page bottoms. Small LCD lamp aimed at bottom of book to cool the color. The Bible is 8" thick and weighs a ton or 2.

View attachment 1667045
Extremely well done Nick. Master stacker Mike would be proud. :D

Last edited:
WEEK 31

Food.
Home made Naans, took 2 days to make (sourdough/yogurt_ cooked on a hot grill; Tandoori chicken; and green beens with cashews and coconut. Washed down with a full bodied Viura from Navarra, Spain!

1. Naan dough resting on the proofing board. The front row, second from the left is the classic teardrop shape. Final shaping is done right before you slap 'em on to the grill.

2. Food for thought.

3. Yum!

4. Uninvited guest made to help with clean up!

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom