Critique Nick's (Palouse) 52 week project 2020: WEEK 44

WEEK 41

I have 3 days of National Land Trust Association conference (on-line) for the next 3 days, so shooting opportunities may be scarce (and I've already done my obligatory Zoom meeting shot for the current CS). So I'll post a couple from this evening—2 versions of the same shot.

1. As shot.
Oct4-012.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

2. With help from SilverFX Pro.

Oct4-012_Nik.jpg

Last edited:
Very nice -- both versions! That subject is well-suited to B&W conversion! Speaking of Silver Efex Pro, the last couple of times I tried to use it (as a plug-in to DXO PhotoLab 3), the program would open and then immediately crash. I wound up doing something else with the images in question, but haven't yet gotten back to figuring out what might be causing this. Everything else in DXO PhotoLab 3 itself works fine. I haven't tried any of the other programs in Nik Collection 3 to see if they, too, are not cooperating.... I should do that, too. I'm not really familiar with using plug-ins and so am at a loss as to what might be wrong. Possibly I need to try reinstalling the whole works.....?

ETA: my problem with Silver Efex Pro has been resolved (I think).....

Last edited:
Thanks Terri. The B&W was done as a reaction of having too many sunset shots of that line of trees. I was amazed at how well the B&W conversion brought out the foreground detail; detail that I hadn't really paid attention to when I was shooting.

Thanks Terri. The B&W was done as a reaction of having too many sunset shots of that line of trees. I was amazed at how well the B&W conversion brought out the foreground detail; detail that I hadn't really paid attention to when I was shooting.
It really did. I probably need to repurchase the NIK software.

WEEK 41 (BONUS pic).

I was out driving around the southern part of the county today and grabbed a few. Sharing one as a bonus for the week. A very small piece of the Palouse that has been withdrawn from agriculture.

Oct11-018.jpg

WEEK 42

More fall stuff from around the yard

1. Yarrow that took root along the driveway—some blossoms did not get the memo about fall!

Oct15-017.jpg

2. A gnarly old tree hat anchors one corner of the front yard. It will be sad day when it has to come down—it has so much character.

Oct15-018.jpg

WEEK 42

More fall stuff from around the yard

1. Yarrow that took root along the driveway—some blossoms did not get the memo about fall!

View attachment 1672102

2. A gnarly old tree hat anchors one corner of the front yard. It will be sad day when it has to come down—it has so much character.

View attachment 1672103
You are finding some treasures in your yard. I love them both!!

That tree is amazing, filled with texture, shapes and depth..... I can imagine how sad you'll be when one day it does have to come down. Let's hope that this is not for a long time!!!

I like that Yarrow.....I've seen it or something similar around here but never knew what it is called. Weird to have it still blossoming this late into the year!

WEEK 43

1. Weather.
Weather018.jpg

2. Rain in B&W..

Weather014_Nik.jpg

3 Rain in full living color!
Weather014.jpg

Latest threads

Top Bottom