Critique Nick's (Palouse) 52 week project 2020: WEEK 44

It sure has been a crazy week here, too -- our weather feels more like spring than the approach of winter (it's delightful and I wish it would stay this way!) and I've been busy with various things and been preoccupied so that I haven't even shot as much as I usually do, and what I have shot isn't all that pleasing to me. At the rate I'm going I'll have little to share for Week 43 when Sunday rolls around....

WEEK 44.
I'm early for a change :rolleyes: :cool:

We had an hourlong power outage last night, as 3" of heavy, wet snow knocked down or bent branches that for the most part still have almost all their leaves. Time for the candles and the cameras.

1. Living room lit only by the 2 candles you see here. No changes made to color or exposure while converting from NEF in DXO-PL4. WB was set at Auto 0 (reduce warm) . Only changes to conversion were lens sharpness and distortion.

BlackOut009.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

2. Sibling shot.
BlackOut032.jpg

Wow, you are early for Week 44! I haven't even wrapped up Week 43 yet! Well, I've done all the shooting for the week but just haven't looked through the images to choose the ones I want to share tomorrow.

You made good use of your time without electricity -- always difficult when power goes out at nighttime. Daytime, it's livable, but at night....ugh! Three inches of snow......yikes!!!! Here it was like early summer once again, but for the autumn colors and the falling leaves. However, alas, that lovely time is now at an end, as the temperature started dropping just before nightfall and tomorrow is going to be significantly chillier again, more like actual October weather.....

I find that it's better to wait until the end of the week before doing anything about sharing the images, as sometimes I'll hit the jackpot with a bunch of images shot on one of the days closer to the end of the week while maybe the beginning of the week wasn't so great, either because I was busy, didn't shoot, or because I wasn't particularly inspired when I did shoot, or sometimes I actually shot and wasn't happy with any of the results.

week 44: continued

Here, for comparison, are the same 2 shots, with what I would consider "normal" conversion—see how well they carry color, detail and feeling.

BlackOut009_1.jpg

BlackOut032_1.jpg

I agree with Terri about these -- I like them better than the first shots, but I have to admit I don't quite understand what you did differently this time? Maybe I'm just dense.... So, what, these where shot under normal lighting conditions (the electricity being on again), or what? Yes, the images do look better than the first ones.

The original were shot and converted to jpg. No other correction. The second set had changes to exposure, color, sharpness, noise, etc., etc. to bring out the best. Yeah, second set is better, but the first are rather amazing given the whole room was lit by just 2 candles.

Latest threads

Top Bottom