Critique Nick's (Palouse) 52 week project 2020: WEEKs 7 & 8

Week 4

Another week when my original plans and plan B had to get tossed out.
I'd planned to walk around neighborhoods and photograph snowmen, snow creatures, forts, etc. But the snow turned to rain and the white stuff became inhospitable and I stayed home, dry and warm :cool:

Plan B. Go downtown at night and catch the lights reflected in the wet streets, something I've long wanted to do. We headed out around 2:30 in the afternoon and it was dry. So the wife and I popped into a new wine shop/wine bar (more about that in a minute) to wait until dark and to drink to the rain gods. No luck. So I took a quick shot of the drug scene downtown and meandered home.

1. Drugs on the streets of Moscow.
W4001_Nik_DxO.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Plan C presented itself to me this morning.

For the past 40 years, the Wine Company of Moscow has been my home away from home. I even worked there in the 1980's. But the owners were aging and the place needed a remake and an infusion of money. That didn't happen, and at 5 pm on December 31 it closed for good. But Terry the manager had a few tricks left up his sleeve. He'd been meeting quietly for months with the owners of a new wine bar, Vīn, that was due to open sometime this spring and agreed to move all his unsold wine, beer, foods and most fixtures to their place half a block away. That promoted the wine bar to rethink their business model and they opened on January 1, 2020 as a wine bar and a wine store. Terry and 2 of his staff now work at Vīn. Our wine tasting group (that has meet every 2 weeks for the past 40 years) now has a new home and life goes on.
Cleaning out the old Wine Co. Terry found lots of rather old orphaned beer bottles (Christmas beers from the 1980's, and others not quite as old.) So Terry solicited my help, professional that I still am, and we opened and tasted and mostly poured out some 150 bottles of old, dead beer this afternoon.
I'd planned to bring my camera along, knowing that drinking and photography don't mix well for me. But on my way out the door I realized that The Eighteenth Amendment to the US constitution was ratified on January 16, 1919, and went into effect one year later, on January 17, 1920, almost 100 years to the day. Prohibition :(:mad::eek::barefoot:

2. Prohibition starts again in Moscow.
W4017_DxO.jpg

3. Filling up fast.
W4019_DxO.jpg

4. Almost full

W4028_DxO.jpg

Now, we could have dumped those 10 gallons of dead beer down the sink behind us, but we came up with a better idea— a reenactment of a classic prohibition-era dumping of alcohol down the drain while the cops look on, hands on their holsters. Well, next door to the Wine Co. is the Moscow Police Station, but after a quick inquiry we learned that all the officers were busy at the time. So we took the law into our own hands and walked down the alley to the nearest drain and dumped our spoils there. It just so happens that that nearest manhole is right next to the Police Station.

3. Temperance in full force.

W4042_DxO.jpg

3b
W4045_DxO.jpg

3c
W4049_DxO.jpg

Hopefully I'll be around for the 100 anniversary of the 21st Amendment. 🍷🥃🍻

Last edited:
Thanks Bill, Connie and JIm. We did have suitable libations to keep us motivated. Among the take away knowledge is IPAs are usually the first to lose their charm; hops is short-lived, 3-4 years at best. High Alc levels is not related to ageability. Spiced winter/seasonal ales can last for up to 15 years (these were in a cool room) and then abruptly lose it all.
We had a case or 2 of wine too, mostly samples that never made it out or wines that customers had dropped off - e.g., a low end 1959 German Riesling (great year but not for that wine!).
Yeah, a sad but fun time.

Hm, that's good to know about the aging process! I've got a few bottles of Trappiste Rochefort and St Bernardus ales sitting around here that I've had for at least a year and a half.... Well, guess I'd better drink 'em up pretty soon!
You are in luck Connie; the Trappiste Rochefort 10 was the only beer that was absolutely enjoyable. It was from 2006. I would guess that St Bernardus should be just fine too.

hope the fish are happy!
Well, had we dumped it down the utility sink it would have made it to the same place. Besides, under the new EPA rules . . . :eek:

Good to know that the Trappiste Rochefort 10 that I have will be perfectly drinkable then, and probably the 8 as well. Ditto for the St Bernardus! I think I will definitely make it a point to drink them this winter, though, as they're wonderful on a cold winter's day or evening. Don't want to keep them too much longer and have them go bad on me!

Wet, cold and windy for most of the week. Sun occasional today, but with a biting wind. Since a flea-infected rodent in Pennsylvania had the audacity to signal the end of winter, I trudged through the yard looking for signs of spring. The tree rats were on the back fence sunning themselves and in no mood to be photographed (and I was too lazy to go and get the 200-500), and I did hear some Nuthatches chittering away out of sight.
I did finally find some buds: the climbing Hydrangea looked good but was in a very windy spot. But the Azalea beckoned. With the 24-70 at f/4 (so I could sacrifice dof) and mounted on 29mm of Mieke extension rings I carefully moved in for a few closeups. A bit of cropping some artsy work on Nik ColorEfex and I have a couple of shots to show for my work.

Note to self: tripod and experiment with dof.

That first shot in particular sings to me..... Looks as though Nikon has retained that lovely close-focusing ability with the newer 24-70 lenses...... That was one thing I loved about my 24-70 back in the day, how closely I could focus with that lens. Both of your shots are wonderfully colorful with a hint of something wonderful to come in a month or two..... Azaleas: harbingers of Spring!!!

Yep, winter weather often calls for spending more time indoors and for me, that includes using a macro lens to come up with something interesting! It's one reason I bought my new gear back in November, figuring that I would have several months in which I'd rather be playing with macro than getting outdoors to shoot. I love my macro lenses and, yes, also my Kenko extension tubes do come in handy, too, even with the macro lenses.

Hi Nick. #1 looks very nice to me. IMO , the only thing about it is that very out of focus small twig on the lower right. I would try cropping the image from right and from bottom to show the branch of the bud as if it is coming exactly from the bottom right corner.

Cropped using Binnur's advice:

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom