Critique Night in the Desert

I went out to photograph the conjunction. I never really do astrophotography, but I do go out and try to put these events into my landscapes from time to time. I didn't really end up focusing on the conjunction too much (although I did do the obligatory long lens plus teleconverter to see what I can get shots). Here are some of the landscapes from the night:

#1: These three are some of my favorite subjects in the Gates Pass/Saguaro National Park West general area
171298082.AAK87Z0g.Starfall.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

The next two are both of the same subject, just different framing
#2:
171298078.iTVsOdeY.Anchor.jpg

#3:
171298080.UQQ5kXGm.Insignificance.jpg

#4: This is the only shot here that has the conjunction in it
171298079.J2pmkJpl.Desert_Christmas_Star.jpg

As always, CC are greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Dave

Nice images, first one for me.
I think the other are little bit to dark to my taste !
But you know is just me !
My preference for framing #2.
Happy Holidays. 🏜

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
You always provide such interesting subjects and compositions! No exception here. #1 is my fav. #2 and 3 just seem to need a little more light on the mountain....or something to really catch the viewer's interest in the mountain. #4 the subject is just too low in the frame for me....

Nice images, first one for me.
I think the other are little bit to dark to my taste !
But you know is just me !
My preference for framing #2.
Happy Holidays. 🏜
I really like the first one. It's very striking.
You always provide such interesting subjects and compositions! No exception here. #1 is my fav. #2 and 3 just seem to need a little more light on the mountain....or something to really catch the viewer's interest in the mountain. #4 the subject is just too low in the frame for me....

Thanks for all of the comments. The first shot was a 10 minute exposure. I thought about going for full arcs, but I liked what I got on this one exposure so there you go. Also I forgot to turn off long exposure noise reduction so I ended up having to wait an additional 10 minutes to get off the next shot anyway. I may try processing 2/3 with a brighter mountain, but it might look a little artificial with the dark sky, I'll have to give it a go.

I had hoped to get better framing for the conjunction in that spot, but my recollection of what foreground elements were available and what actually was there didn't quite line up so the last shot was really all that I could muster (well there's one more, but I'm not certain it turned out). I agree with the low framing comment. Thanks again for the comments.

Thanks,

Dave

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom