Night Life in Aachen, Germany

Discussion in 'Landscapes, Architecture, and Cityscapes' started by Mattes, May 16, 2007.

1. Hello.

My first post as new member will feature some impressions from a town called Aachen in Germany, close to the border to Belgium and the Netherland.

The pics were made as a test using a Sigma 1.4/30 mm in its natural environment and a D200 at high ISOs. I hope the pictures will be visible.

Remarks are always welcome.

Regards,

Mattes

View attachment 95788

View attachment 95789

Edit by Moderator | Panos: Images are now showing

Last edited by a moderator: May 21, 2007
  2. genera

genera

Oct 6, 2005
    California
    Mattes,

The pictures aren't showing. You have to add ".jpg" at the end of your links.

3. Mattes, first of I welcome you (again) in our little spot on the web.

Great night shots! Seems like they're taken in 1940, the color, the atmosphere, wonderful :smile:

Simple as that ...I guess...:wink:

4. Thanks for your advice and the welcome words, Panos.

I'd like to show more of my work in the time to come.

Regards,

Mattes

5. Mattes, I just noticed that your provider "Fotocommunity" has rejected the direct linking of photos... thus they are not shown...

Do you have any other photo library?

6. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Images not showing

7. Hi,

I switched to pbase, because Panos gave me the advice that direct linking is prohibited.

I hope the pictures are showing up now ...

Regards,

Mattes

8. Mattes, we are close but NOT there yet... :smile:

The target URL should be in the following format...

http://www.pbase.com/[username]/image/[image_number].jpg

...you are using...

http://i.pbase.com/g6/05/772805/2/78876034.dUMRO5HH.jpg

...which works ONLY when opened in a new window/tab (or if PBase S/W feels like):biggrin: .

Of course, if you haven't registered with PBase yet and you are under a trial account, you might not be able to get direct linked images... :rolleyes:

Yeah, I know... but the best are yet to come... :wink:

9. Trey USAF

Trey USAF Guest

The two I see are very good low light shots. Thx for sharing. I can't wait for the Christmas season. I am lookign forward to shooting Rothenburg and Stuttgart Christmas markets at night. Hopefully I have acquired the lens I need by that time.

10. Greetings from Berlin!
    I like the atmospehere, especially in #2.

11. MJAM

MJAM

Feb 20, 2006
    Juneau, Alaska
    Really like the atmosphere and composition in these. Well done. They look a tad soft on my screen, though. Perhaps a bit more sharpening? Mike

12. Brian-S

Brian-S

Feb 10, 2007
    Bay Area, CA
    Wonderful shots. Just purchased this lens myself. Were these shot wide-open?

Brian

13. Hi Brian.

I used f/2.8 at no. 1 and 2, and f/3.5 at no. 3.

I try to avoid to use f/1.4, because the results are quite soft. But as a "last reserve" it's good to have ...

Meanwhile, I sold the Sigma and use my 17-55 AF-S instead. The results are remarkably better, even at f/2.8.

Regards,

Mattes

14. Brian-S

Brian-S

Feb 10, 2007
    Bay Area, CA
    Mattes: Great to know, thanks for the information! I'm hoping my sigma turns out to be a good one, otherwise I'll probably have it calibrated as I've seen some wonderful results wide-open on a calibrated lens. Glad to hear you're enjoying the 17-55. It's a wonderful lens indeed.

Brian

15. Nice pictures Mattes.

I have gone the 30 1.4 route, too. After recalibration (6 weeks at Sigma service!) Focus was OK. But still unable to focus to infinity below f2. So I sold it too.

17-55 is a great performer at f2.8 and I use it all the time for nightshooting.

16. Brian-S

Brian-S

Feb 10, 2007
    Bay Area, CA
    Good to know, I'll pay extra attention to my copy when it arrives on Thursday.

Thanks,
    Brian

17. Where would we be without Panos? Your shots are so cool with a kind of formality I always had expected in Germany. Then I go visit my son who was stationed in Bavaria. Beer, Weisswurst and fresh warm Pretzels for breakfast what a contrast. Germany is a great country for many, many reasons.