Night Sky at 11,500 ft

Over the weekend my dad and I went on a motorcycle camping trip up in Guanella Pass, just west of the gold town of Georgetown. We stayed up late to see if we could get some shots of the night sky. This was really my first time trying wide field astrophotography (well, wide considering 35mm).

After making camp, we hopped on our bikes and rode up to the pass. This pass is at 11,669 ft elevation. At first I thought we were skunked because the skies were very overcast. Waiting a few hours paid off, although there were still clouds.

Here's my first shot. You can see the clouds being lit from Denver's city lights, even though Denver is pretty far away.

9179469666_b1f5039734_o.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

29-June-2013-1 by Colorado CJ, on Flickr

And here is a picture looking up through the trees at camp. The trees were lit slightly by a small lantern we had.

9177913649_26c34948eb_o.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

29-June-2013-2 by Colorado CJ, on Flickr

I am real excited they turned out and am now putting some lenses on ebay to pay for a 14mm F2.8 Samyang to get some REAL wide field astrophotos.

These are great,especially for a first time trying it. Its something I've been wanting to have a try at myself but haven't got around to it yet.
look forward to seeing more.

Nice images. I like that first one with the Denver light pollution. It just makes for a cool transition from the clouds to the stars.

Response to Polseszczyk

July 31, 2013

To Polseszczyk:

I'm a member of Nikon Cafe and an amateur astronomer and amateur photographer from Syracuse, NY.

You made the comment that there are no dark skies like that in the East. May I suggest checking out some of the remote areas in the Adirondack Park in Northern New York State.

You may also want to check out the Blackforest Star Party which is held every year at Cherry Springs Park in Pennsylvania. This park is at the top of a mountain in one of the darkest areas of Pennsylvania. An outstanding site for amateur astronomers, who observe, or do astrophotography, the site was listed in 2012 in Astronomy Magazine as one of the very best sites in the entire United States.

For more information go to www.bfsp.org

Steve Zalewski
Syracuse, NY
Syracuse Camera Club Member, Nikoncafe Member, and amateur astronomer

Nikon D3100, F5, N80, Various Nikkor lenses, and a Celestron C5+ astronomical telescope.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest threads

Top Bottom