Night time Football (Boohoo)

Discussion in 'Photojournalism, Candids and Street Photography' started by Tomerrifc, Nov 21, 2005.

1. Sorry Mike for stealing your title, I just thought it was so appropriate. :biggrin: So many of us have had the pleasure to shoot under the lights of a poorly lit high school football stadium. Oh what a drag that is!

These are the North Chicago Warhawks from North Chicago IL. They just went down to Springfield and lost in the Playoffs this past Saturday. This is the game before that they won over Gordon Tech.

Just before the game I had uploaded the new firmware for the D2X and oh what a difference with the focusing and the auto white balance.

View attachment 19771

View attachment 19772

View attachment 19773

2. WOW not only a night game but red uniforms talk about a tough setup, I know when my teams plays home they where purple which makes the shutter speeds even slower. Seems like you did well under some tough circumstances. Thursday is Nicks last game as hew ill be graduating and of course they are calling for rain.

3. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    These look like pretty nice images, Ty. This monitor (at work) is getting ready to die, so the images display darker than normal. Did you shoot with a flash? Looks like you stopped action will with the X. Officials should make a rule that teams all wear light jerseys at night games with different color accents to distinguish the teams...just for us shooters!

4. Nothing wrong with these shots! Colors look good from here, too!

5. Thanks Mike. Tough conditions indeed. I was really happy with how the D2X performed. I was shooting mostly at iso 800 1/250 or so for most shots. The images were really under exposed where I ended up pulling some details out of the shodows in Capture.

Good luck with Nicks last game. I hope you get better weather than rain. Do you own one of those rain hoods for your camera and lens? I have got to purchase one. Here are a couple of shots of a game that was in the driving rain. Warren vs Maine South. Mains South has advanced in the playoffs getting close to a championship if they win their next game.

View attachment 19775
    This kid #4 does it all for Maine South
    View attachment 19776
    The game clinching interception.
    View attachment 19777

6. Great shots, there they are some of the best games to watch and shoot as long as you can protect your gear I had a mudder of a game like that earlier in the year and used the old trash-bag setup, but tomorrow my Kata rain-gear is getting delivered for Thursdays game and will sue it for my wildlife shooting also

7. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Very nice images, Ty. A much better view at home with a new monitor (last nights view through a dying monitor was difficult). Your colors and clarity are very nice indeed. You have to be pleased with this shoot.