Night Train

Discussion in 'Transportation' started by Jarrell, Nov 10, 2005.

1. Jarrell

Jarrell

Feb 13, 2005
    Macon, Ga.
    Taken with my D100 and Sigma 15-30mm lens at about 25mm. f/22 @1.5 seconds. The slow shutter speed was to let the locomotives fairly dim headlight register. A diagram of the setup is below the picture..
    The moon is courtesy of Photoshop. This model is approx. 9 inches in length not counting the tender. Noise (due to slow shutter speed) reduction was done on the black background. I hate noise.. :Curved:
    Jarrell

2. PGB

PGB

Jan 25, 2005
    Jarrell,

Not only is your photo great. So is your diagram of how you did it. I find this very helpful and appreciate the time it takes for you to go the extra mile with explaining your setup for a shot.

Thank you for sharing!

3. Jarrell

Jarrell

Feb 13, 2005
    Macon, Ga.
    You're welcome Patrick. I've always found it helpful when a diagram was included. They're much more explanatory than words.. :smile:
    Jarrell

4. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    That is a very beautiful capture, Jarrell. The detail of the locomotive and the folliage is wonderful. At first glance, one might think that it is an image of a full-sized engine...only thing missing is some rust, grease and grime. Your images would present well matted and framed under soft lighting. Great job with the image and thanks for the added insight as to how you put the image together.

5. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Oh Jarrell,
    So nice to see your work again.
    This is a wonderful image. i really like the night time shot affect.
    Detail and clarity is great. the foliage just touches this off great.
    You do know I love trains.
    Thank You

6. Jarrell, your images are always wonderful and your "How To's" are always appreciated - coming from "The Master of Lighting" you make it seem simple. Thanks for sharing.

Mike

7. A very nice photo indeed, and many thanks to the explanation of the set up. I learn a lot.

8. Jarrell

Jarrell

Feb 13, 2005
    Macon, Ga.
    I had to shoot fast because the fog rolled in so quickly..
    :wink:
    and it's hard to shoot fast, handheld at 1 1/2 second shutterspeed!
    I thank you for your kind remarks..
    Jarrell

9. Jarrell,

thanks for taking the time to explain this set up. This will helps me alot..
    All the best, craig

10. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Smiles at Jarrells FOG. Well done :>)))))

11. Jarrell

Jarrell

Feb 13, 2005
    Macon, Ga.
    Isn't PhotoShop great! :biggrin:
    Jarrell

12. Excellent post, Jarrell. Beautifully done image and well appreciated set-up diagram - thank you!

13. Jarrell

Jarrell

Feb 13, 2005
    Macon, Ga.

You're very welcome Frits, it is my pleasure.
    Jarrell

14. Jarrell
    Nice to see your work again I have really missed your presence here. Thanks fro the Diagram I have just bought a bunch of FCB and have three SB800's and SB600's

15. Simply excellent Jarrell. I always love your studio shots like this and your detailed diagrams to help us lesser folks out. Very nice image and one that model railroaders would like to get their hands on I'm sure. Way to go.

16. Jarrell

Jarrell

Feb 13, 2005
    Macon, Ga.
    You're all set to go then, Mike! My FCB is getting so old now it is starting to turn a little yellow.. :smile:
    Ok, I'm waiting to see some killer pictures!
    Jarrell

17. Jarrell

Jarrell

Feb 13, 2005
    Macon, Ga.
    Thank you Gordon, though I haven't seen any 'lesser' folks around here... :smile:
    I look at all the fabulous bird shots and other things and get green with envy!
    Jarrell

18. SRA

SRA

Jul 29, 2005
    Orem, Utah
    Outstanding, and again, thanks for the diagram and excellent photos.

19. Vienna Pics

Vienna Pics

Nov 14, 2005
    Virgnia
    Jarrell, Thanks for taking the time and explaing how you set up the shoot - model RR buffs usually do not take into account the photography aspect of their hobby.