NightClub Shoot in Sydney

Discussion in 'People' started by Simon, May 13, 2005.

1. Simon

Simon

Apr 30, 2005
    Sydney, Australia
    Taken a while back with a Nikon D2H, SB800 and Nikkor 17-35 AFS - this is a great people / social gathering combo.

It was a big job and ended up taking a few thousand shots on the night.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    Yowser, great shots!

Post a link to some more!

3. Does that say Nikon Cafe on that thong on image #5? :lol: :lol: Very interesting series of shots Simon.

4. kengo

kengo Guest

Do you mind me asking your settings on the people pictures, including WB? I seem to have problems getting my colors right with flash and ambient lighting.

5. jkamphof

jkamphof Guest

Yeah, I'm pretty confident I like the composition of #5.....can't explain it but it really grabs my attention, plus the image draws my eyes in really well. ;)

Cool shots,

Joel.

6. Simon

Simon

Apr 30, 2005
    Sydney, Australia
    Hi Kengo

These were all shot in JPG mode - normally I like RAW but problem is that when I shot 1,000's of pics in a nght, RAW is just not practicable. I use 1 Gb CF's and offload to my laptop several times during the night)

In JPG mode it makes you need to keep an eye on exposure and WB even more so.

Nightclubs are hard shooting environments ( in more ways than one but on the ligting side of things ) I have to deal with fluro, spotlights and vitually any sort of light except daylight :)

For these shots (with flash, I would have used Flash WB) and I believe I was using ISO 200 - 400 most of the night (except for the handheld pic of the dance floor where no flash was used, that was ISO 1000)

PS is surprisingly good at fixing up WB issues after the shot - using "Selective Colour", you can warm up, cool down or alter colour casts through this feature - quite handy if you ask me.

Anyway I hope this helps.

7. kengo

kengo Guest

I have similar experience and was trying to see if I can avoid shooting RAW for events because of the number of shots I go through in an event. Converting would be a nightmare :(