1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Nik Collection not showing up in PS

Discussion in 'Apple/Mac' started by Allan, Jul 5, 2018.

1. I have the subscription version of PS CC . Since updating to the latest version of PS CC 19.1.5 I know longer see the Nik filters in my filter menu. I reinstalled it and it seems to be in the correct place but it does not show. Here is a screenshot.
    Any ideas?
    i-WFM8hff-S.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

2. That's odd. I'm also using 19.1.5. My Nik filters are stored in the same place yours are stored and they're being displayed in the Filter menu just like always. Hope you get it figured out.

3. You must have the free ones. Thanks.

4. Works fine for me in Photoshop 19.1.5

5. I've never acquired the Nik filters when they were free. I first licensed them when Google bought Nik and reduced the price from about $500 to about $150. Then I licensed them a few weeks ago when DxO released them for about $50.

6. Ann_JS

Ann_JS

Feb 18, 2015
    New York State
    Those NIKs are not installed in the right place: these days they need to be in the HD/Library.

Delete your current NIKs and use the Installer application to re-install them and they will then get installed in the correct place.

[I do have the old free version and they are all listed in my Filter menu. I am not intending to upgrade because I never use any of them anyway.]

Screen-Shot-2018-07-05-at-3.18.47-PM.jpg

7. Can you tell me the exact place Ann? The installer put the where my screen shot shows.

8. Ann: You gave me advice about this a few weeks ago, though you didn't explicitly mention the HD/Library. I think you mentioned only that they need to be installed in the Libraries. I can't find them, though the Nik programs are apparently installed in them. I say that because though I just now deleted the Google directory, the Nik programs still appear in the Nik Collection menu within Photoshop and Silver Efex still works properly. It might be helpful for me to know where those libraries are located so I can keep an eye on them. Conducting a search of my computer doesn't find them perhaps because they are program files. Where are they located?

Allan: You probably thought I was using the free version because I explained that my plug-ins are stored where yours are stored (in the Google directory). I now believe they were stored there and in the libraries.

However, I now wonder if the minor issues I've been experiencing is because the plug-ins were stored in both places.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2018
  9. Here is a DXO help center dedicated to the DXO version of Nik. Nik Collection by DxO – Customer Support
    They suggest:

My plug-ins do not appear in Photoshop after installing. How do I fix this?
    If you have already installed the Nik Collection and the plug-ins do not appear in Photoshop, please close Photoshop completely. Then, download and reinstall the Nik Collection to your computer once again.

If the Nik Collection still does not appear in Photoshop, please check the compatibility requirements to ensure your version of Photoshop is compatible.

10. Coincidentally, DxO's update to the Nik Collection just now became available, so I installed it. I noticed that the installation program is installing files in C:\Program Files\DxO\Nik Collection. Note that the Google files I mentioned were installed in the Program Files (X86) directory, not Program Files. My OS is Windows 10.

I don't think that information is a contradiction with Ann's information, as I think she is referring to other files. But I'm not certain.

11. I did as they suggested and I also checked - my PS and Mac OS are compatible, at least with the paid version. I have free.
    Perhaps I should download the dxo trial to see if that works.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. Ann_JS

Ann_JS

Feb 18, 2015
    New York State
    I can only give you the correct location for Mac OSX.

But if you delete all copies of the NIK filters and then use the official Installer, the plug-ins will be installed in the correct place.
    You may then need to reboot your computer.

Screen Shot 2018-07-05 at 7.29.52 PM.png

13. I second Ann, for Mac.

14. The Nik by DxO does get installed in the correct place automatically.
    (contrary to the google variant)

Application_Support.jpg

15. On my Windows 10 system as installed by DxO's installer:
    • DxO Nik program files are stored in C:/Program Files/DxO/Nik Collection
    • DxO Nik data files are stored in C:/ProgramData/DxO

Last edited: Jul 6, 2018
  16. Ann_JS

Ann_JS

Feb 18, 2015
    New York State
    The Google installer did install the NIK files in the right place automatically on my Mac.

That might be because I am running Sierra (low) and not High Sierra and the Google installer may not recognise High Sierra?.

17. I have High Sierra and installer doesn't put them in correct spot. I changed the location to the correct spot but they would not go in a folder inside CC - only each plugin inside cc folder. I tried that. I tried creating a folder called Nik and/or Google inside CC and placing the plugins there- no luck. I am going to try the 30 day trial.

18. Something I found online: THE “NEW” DxO NIK COLLECTION FOR PHOTOSHOP CC 2018 | Vieri Bottazzini Photographer

"If you don’t have an older version installed on your machine, installing the Nik Collection 2018 by DxO is as straightforward as any other install. Make sure to have your activation code received from DxO when purchasing your plugin handy, and just follow the instructions.

If, on the other hand, like me you had the old Google Nik Collection installed on your machine through the workaround I explained in my post linked above, my suggestion is to uninstall it using the uninstaller that came with the plugin; then go to “Applications -> Adobe Photoshop CC 2018 -> Plug-ins” and delete the “Google” folder where the old plugins resided. Once you did that, just proceed with the new installation as you normally would."

19. Note that Nick's post immediately above pertains to using a Mac.

20. But it did not work for me. Remember I am one who has a weird problem with a file crashing each time I open PS or LR. Reinstalling LR, PS, and CC did not help.
    I may just have to buy the DxO version or stop using it. I have a month using the free trial to decide.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.