Nik Collection on sale

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
I find that I was sent a Nik Collection download link on Oct. 25, 2017 for version 1.2.11. That must be the version I have, but I find no record of it at their online store.
use that email address and/or user name....and hopefully you can upgrade if you want. Best to contact DxO. Years ago I had to contact them in order to locate the Nik data for my account. I may have originally set up one user name for Nik and much later accidentally set up another user name when ordering DxO Lab for the first time. This caused my data to be in two different places.

When I use Finder to go to my Nik Collection inn my Applications folder, all of the apps show as Version 5.0.3. except Uninstaller (V 3.3.0) and Perspective (V 5.0). This may help other determine if they are current. I am on the latest versions.

Right now I am doing something on the other machine, the one where I have the Nik Collection 3, so can't interrupt what is in process to take another look at my Applications folder on that machine to verify that I indeed have v. 3.0.3, not v5 something-or-other. I'm on a Mac, not a Windows machine. Maybe there is another update that is even newer than the one I just did not all that long ago?

3.0.3, not v5
DxO is using a very confusing naming system, Connie. When you go to their website or load one of their products, the latest Nik Collection version is 3.3. Within that suite, some of the apps display no version number (implying version 1), some dislay that they are version 2, some display that they are version 3 and some display that they are version 4. Yet when you view the properties of each corresponding .exe file, the version number is 5.0.3.x. That's at least how everything is displayed on my PC system using the Nik Collection as a Photoshop plug-in. DxO could surely make this more confusing, but they would have to try very hard to make that happen.

I've gotten a reply from DxO to my query about upgrading my Nik software:

Greetings,

No, that is the free version which is not eligible for upgrade pricing, my apologies.

regards,
Riley - DxO Labs Support Team 2

So that settles that and answers my original questions. I don't think I'm going to buy the full product as I don't see myself using it much.

DxO is using a very confusing naming system, Connie. When you go to their website or load one of their products, the latest Nik Collection version is 3.3. Within that suite, some of the apps display no version number (implying version 1), some dislay that they are version 2, some display that they are version 3 and some display that they are version 4. Yet when you view the properties of each corresponding .exe file, the version number is 5.0.3.x. That's at least how everything is displayed on my PC system using the Nik Collection as a Photoshop plug-in. DxO could surely make this more confusing, but they would have to try very hard to make that happen.
Ah, thank you, Mike, for clarifying that! I have not looked at the files more deeply -- we don't have .exe files with a Mac, it's called something else -- earlier I had only just glanced at the names on the app files as listed in the collection's folder in my Applications folder. Right now I'm still doing something else with the primary computer, the one which has the Nik Collection 3 folder so can't really take another look at it at the moment anyway. Later I'll do so....

Last edited:
When you collect as many birthdays as I have sometimes it's hard to remember details. It's coming back to me now; I do remember downloading the free version and I also remember deciding not to buy the paid version when it came out.

I just took advantage of the Black Friday price on the NIK Collection. Used the free version for years. That version does not play well with the latest edition of Photoshop or 4K monitors. Money well spent IMO.

Perspective Efex is effectively exactly the same as DxO ViewPoint.
That in itself can be no reason to upgrade.
From the Nik suite, I mostly us Silver Efex. The difference in the actual version of Silver Efex versus the free version is essentially two things:
  • a lot more presets
  • fixing of stability issues for the latest classes of screens and for interacting with PS
I'm convinced I don't have the latest version since I don't have Perspective Efex. The question now is whether it's worth upgrading. I can't remember the last time I've used any of the Nik plugins, so the answer is probably not unless there is something new there that I would find valuable.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom