Nik Collection V4 has now been released

This is really odd, Bart. There are two screenshots of the control points at the DxO website displaying only five sliders. That's not surprising considering that the PetaPixel article says, "Finally, the U Point tool has been updated to include fewer sliders, which DxO says makes it easier to view adjustments and rename them to optimize personal workflow experiences." Yet in your screen shot I see all seven sliders, the very same sliders that have always been in the previous versions. Call me confused.
Puzzling indeed.

Do you read the "agreement" before checking "I agree."

I never read it. That's because if I did and objected to something, I would still agree to it because I want to use the software. Similarly, even though I object to agreements required to be signed at doctors' offices and hospitals, I sign them because I want to attend to my health issue. On the other hand, when a prospective employer offered me a job that required signing a no-compete agreement, I told them I would be happy to work for the firm but wouldn't think of signing the agreement. I also told them they shouldn't hire anyone that would sign it. They hired me without the agreement.

Last edited:
OK - but really, people don't read those things carefully. Do you read the "agreement" before checking "I agree." There is need to say that loud and clear.

I never read it. That's because if I did and objected to something, I would still agree to it because I want to use the software. Similarly, even though I object to agreements required to be signed at doctors' offices and hospitals, I sign them because I want to attend to my health issue. On the other hand, when a prospective employer offered me a job that required signing a no-compete agreement, I told them I would be happy to work for the firm but wouldn't think of signing the agreement. I also told them they shouldn't hire anyone that would sign it. They hired me without the agreement.

This is not about agreeing. It goes to confirming to understand.

First it is explained and then the agreement is ticked.
For me, this is anything but sneeky.
Neither is this well into the installation, it's before it's beginning. Cancel to save what you want to save and start again.

Screenshot_10_06_2021_20_54.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

I guess I'm just too accustomed with using software :D

I think the above should be announced on the website where a potential user who is thinking of using the product would see it before he/she decided to try or buy the product.

I can't imagine that placing that information at the website would have any effect that it doesn't have where it's currently placed. Learning how to manage the installation in a way that makes it really easy to reinstall the earlier version, if desired, isn't going to stop anyone from going forward with test driving the new version.

After a week of unproductive "help" from NIK technicians trying to get the software to recognize that I have a valid activation code, I have uninstalled the NIK package and have decided to wait for the bug fixes to their installation software to be released.

I agree.

For the record, my previous comment offered no opinion about whether the implementation is sneeky, as I hadn't downloaded much less installed the software (and still haven't). Instead, my comment was about whether I read software licensing agreements.
Yes, that is how I understood your post, Mike.
I just wanted to illustrate this was different. Does anyone ever read the software agreement. I definitely don't.

@Allan or anyone else, if someone lost their previous version, I still have my installation for Nik 3.3.
So, if anyone is in need, I can send it with wetransfer for instance.

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
Yes, that is how I understood your post, Mike.
I just wanted to illustrate this was different. Does anyone ever read the software agreement. I definitely don't.

@Allan or anyone else, if someone lost their previous version, I still have my installation for Nik 3.3.
So, if anyone is in need, I can send it with wetransfer for instance.
I'm definitely NOT installing this right now because 1) there seems to be too many problems with it and 2) because I do not want to lose my current versions. I use Nik CEP and SEP quite frequently. I generally use my own presets or start from scratch as opposed to using their presets.

I'm definitely NOT installing this right now because 1) there seems to be too many problems with it and 2) because I do not want to lose my current versions. I use Nik CEP and SEP quite frequently. I generally use my own presets or start from scratch as opposed to using their presets.

I've had no trouble using the 30-day free trial, and you can save your current version simply by temporarily renaming the folder it resides in.

if someone lost their previous version, I still have my installation for Nik 3.3.

That's really nice of Bart, but there is an easier way for all users (and especially for him!). Simply go to DxO.com, login to the website, select My Account and then select My Software. You'll be able to download the software you've already licensed and you'll even be provided your activation code just in case you lost it. It really doesn't get any easier if you have to reinstall the software for whatever reason.

I thought the upgrade was $99, but I just got an email from DxO offering it for $79.

When I view my account information, it indicates that my upgrade from Version 3 is priced at $59.99, marked down from $79.99. Check out the information on that webpage. If you would be upgrading from Version 1 or Version 2, perhaps the upgrade cost is more.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom