Nik Collection V4 has now been released

When I view my account information, it indicates that my upgrade from Version 3 is priced at $59.99, marked down from $79.99. Check out the information on that webpage. If you would be upgrading from Version 1 or Version 2, perhaps the upgrade cost is more.

I think what I have is the last free version. Thus I'm not eligible for the upgrade price.

I think what I have is the last free version. Thus I'm not eligible for the upgrade price.
I accidentally signed up for the $59 update and a copy of Elite (which already owned). A quick email to customer service, along with copies of the relevant registration codes, etc., and within an hour I was reimbursed and with a fully paid for and operating system That was as fast a response and reimbursement I have ever experienced on the web!

Based on what I can determine, the regular cost of Nik V4 for first-time users is reduced from $150 to $100 until June 30. Jim has received an email offering him the license at $80. He also licensed the Nik Collection when it was offered free by Google, so my guess is that DxO is reaching out to those licensees and offering a discount. Meanwhile the cost for licensees of Nik V3 such as myself are being offered the upgrade price of $60 to license V4.

Whew! (Maybe.)

Real Name
Philip Armitage
has anyone upgraded from V3 to V4, and thought "Wow" this was sure worth the money. I spent an hour or so looking up reports etc and see nothing that will convince me to open my pockets and find my credit card - willing to be proved wrong

I just now reviewed a few articles and a couple video tutorials to get an idea of the new capabilities that exist in Version 4. I very rarely use any Nik Collection program other than Silver Efex Pro, so I focused on its capabilities and skipped over information pertaining to the other parts of the collection. My observations and conclusions are noted below.

New in Silver Efex Pro 3 (Though the newest Nik Collection is V4, the Silver Efex Pro within it is V3.)
  • Clear View -- a tool that reduces haze or mist (I don't need this because I always use that kind of tool before opening Silver Efex Pro.)
  • Recall the last edit (This could be very helpful when applying adjustments used in one photo to another photo, but I've never had a need to do so. That's because I custom post-process each photo in the part of my workflow when I would be using Silver Efex Pro.)
Other Capabilities (I was unable to determine from the information I reviewed whether these are available in Silver Efex Pro. Until it is confirmed that they aren't available in it, I'll assume they are.)
  • Control Points now allow fine tuning the mask based on chrominance, luminance or both. (I like the idea but have never felt a need for such precise masks near the end of my workflow, which is when I use Silver Efex Pro. So, I imagine that I would use this capability very little if at all.)
  • Control Points can now be custom named. Doing so makes it easier to manage which control points in the list affect which parts of the scene. (Very handy, but unless I was using more than ten control points, which is a rarity for me, keeping track of them is easy enough without using the custom-naming capability.)
  • Control Points can now be saved as part of a custom preset. (Considering that I custom post-process almost all of my images individually, this capability has no benefit for me.)
  • Meta Presets can now be saved. (Again, this is very helpful for those doing a lot of batch post-processing or reusing a particular set of adjustments, but I do very little of that.)
Conclusions
I see no reason to test drive V4, much less upgrade to it, because I would use the new capabilities so little it's really not worth the time learning how to use them. However, it's very easy for me to imagine that people would do very well to upgrade if they would enjoy using just two or three of the new capabilities, especially the capabilities that allow fine-tuning masks and using custom presets.

Last edited:
A couple bits from the article:

Although Nik Collection has exchanged hands several times — from Snapseed to Google, to most recently DxO...

The author completely forgot to mention that Nikon had it along with Snapseed. If you're gonna discuss history, get the history right.

Where Nik Collection has always stood out as a unique tool is its large number of presets, film simulations, and filters that cover both color and monochrome images and can be found across its three core plugins...

In my mind, where Nik Collection has always stood out is its Control Points. Indeed, if it didn't have them, I doubt that I would be using the product.

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
He also addressed several features as "new" that have been long available.... And not being able to find his presets quickly? Being able to flag "favorites" has been there for years! The author lost credibility with me................

New in Silver Efex Pro 3 (Though the newest Nik Collection is V4, the Silver Efex Pro within it is V3.)
  • Clear View -- a tool that reduces haze or mist (I don't need this because I always use that kind of tool before opening Silver Efex Pro.)
  • Recall the last edit (This could be very helpful when applying adjustments used in one photo to another photo, but I've never had a need to do so. That's because I custom post-process each photo in the part of my workflow when I would be using Silver Efex Pro.)
Mike,

Just a suggestion - you might like to compare the Clear View in SEFX 3 with the Photoshop Version just to see if you can detect any advantage in using the SEFX version.

Unless my tired old eyes are deceiving me I believe that the SEFX version is superior to the PS version and applying it in B+W is more logical than applying it in colour and then having to (possibly) go back and adjust it and start again in SEFX. I have tried both and compared them and have settled for the SEFX version. Just MHO.

DG

I believe that the SEFX version is superior to the PS version and applying it in B+W is more logical than applying it in colour and then having to (possibly) go back and adjust it and start again in SEFX. I have tried both and compared them and have settled for the SEFX version. Just MHO.

Thanks for that suggestion, Dave, especially as you agree with at least two reviewers' opinions I've come across that Silver Efex's version of dehazing is better than Photoshop's version. However, there are two factors in my decision not to sign up for Silver Efex Pro 3: The first one is that I've been doing dehazing so long that I devised my own custom tool way back using Nikon Capture NX (yes, the first version) and then easily switched to using Photoshop's tool a couple or more years ago but manually tweaking it with an adjustment or two to easily get it just right. The second factor is that I do landscape shooting of scenes displaying haze very little. Indeed, I probably use the Haze tool more often to add haze for my tabletop photography than to dehaze anything. When combining those two factors, there is no compelling reason for me to switch to and take the time to learn the new interface of Silver Efex Pro.

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
FWIW......I just upgraded to Version 4 for $55.

When starting the installation process, the first thing was a requirement to acknowledge that prior versions would be deleted. I had already changed the folder name of my current Nik plug ins, so I said OK. I now have two folders....one for current plug ins and one with my old ones.

Now in PS CC in the Nik Selector tool I see SEP 3. It appears that just SEP and Viveza were updated. Is that right? I never use Viveza..... So did I pay $55 for just SEP 4?

It appears that just SEP and Viveza were updated. Is that right?

No, that's not correct. Though SEP and Viveza were updated for capabilities in ways the other plug-ins weren't updated, overall functionality having to do mostly with improved workflow was also added to all of the plug-ins. For a more detailed explanation of what's new, see this: https://nikcollection.dxo.com/whats-new

Latest threads

Top Bottom