nik Color Efex Pro 2.0

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by gmaker1, Nov 21, 2005.

1. Anyone use this product and if they do, how does it work?

Thanks,
    Gil

2. Gil...This is one of my favorite plugins. If you buy it you definitly want the Pro version as you want all of the plugins. The way it works is a box will come up on PS and it will list the plugins in abc order so when you choose one, another box comes up and you adjust to what you like. You can either paint part of the picture you want or you can fill the whole picture with the plugins.

It is a great program and I am looking forward to an upgrade when they get around to making one.

Hope this helps you,

3. Melissa:
    I am guessing that you use it with PS, not with Nikon capture. I don't know which way to go so I hope someone that uses it within NC will also write back.

Gil

4. general

general

Apr 30, 2005
    Nebraska
    Plugin to CS2

Yes, it is a plugin to PhotoShop and as Melissa says, it is great. I use the "Remove Color Cast" and "Polarization" extensively. All of the filters are great. Highly recommended!

5. marc

marc Guest

i believe you can use this with capture and the new picture project

i did read this somewhere

6. JeffKohn

JeffKohn

Apr 21, 2005
    Houston, TX
    There's two versions, one for Photoshop and one for NC. I can't really see buying the NC version as you'd be giving up the flexibilty of PS (layers, masking, history, etc), plus the PS version can be used on any image file.

7. Jeff...I didn't know there was a version for Capture. Is this on Niks website? Like you said, you give up a lot when you don't use it in PS.

8. The niks site does talk about the Capture version. If you did the work in capture, why would you need to use PS? You would be doing the work on the nef file. Would that not be the best place to work?

Gil

9. Thanks Gil...I use mine on PS because I like the layers and masks and other tricks that PS does.

10. jgrove

jgrove

Apr 13, 2005
    Halesowen,UK
    I use it with CS2 supperb set of plugins, i would recomned them to anyone, but i am sure the cost puts most people off. But for what you get the filter set with the complete version is superb.

11. Jarrell

Jarrell

Feb 13, 2005
    Macon, Ga.
    If I had to give up all plugins but one, this would be the ONE.
    Jarrell

12. how do I find this product? I would want the version for CS2 and doew it include NIK sharpener pro?
    Dave

13. RForshey

RForshey Guest

It doesn't include Sharpener, but that indeed is another worthwhile purchase. It is (IMHO) the best sharpener on the market.

14. General and Randy,
    Thanks. I think I will likely do the sharpener first. One more question, Is the inkjet version sufficient for most of us?

15. You might want to look into PixelGenius PK Sharpener first, you paint this on exactly where you need it, and you can vary the opacity of the brush. I prefer it over the Nik Sharpener plugin.

16. The answer to that Dave is yes.

17. thanks Melissa!
    Sandi you got PM
    Notice I was kind enuf not to ad an S to that LOL

18. general

general

Apr 30, 2005
    Nebraska
    PK Sharpener

Do yourself a favor and download a trial version of PK Sharpener plus read the material on the website at Pixelgenius.com. I used to swear by NIK Sharpener Pro Inkjet until I tried PK Sharpener. Try both and then decide.

19. RForshey

RForshey Guest

That would depend on what type of printer you use, and what else you may need it for. If your sole use is printing on an Epson printer as an example, then yes the inkjet version is sufficient. It is important to note that the Nik Sharpener is for sharpening for printing purposes. If you use sharpening just for web etc., it would not be an equitable purchase...