Nik is crashing High Sierra

Discussion in 'Apple/Mac' started by Howard Barlow, Oct 12, 2017.

1. I updated one of my MBPRs. Everything seems to be ok, except a couple of Nik plugins keep crashing, just as they almost finish saving the image. Color Efex 4 and Silver Efex 2 crash. Viveza and Dfine work properly. Anyone else having trouble? If this continues, I'll roll back with my Time Machine.

2. Thanks for the input. I had a lot of trouble with NIK Color Efex pro with Sierra. I tried all sorts of suggestions and none worked. Suddenly, a month later NIK started working for me.

I guess I am saying your one experience might not mean HS breaks NIK. Have you read this is a problem with others.

3. I've seen comments on MacRumors about NIK plug-ins and High Sierra, so you are not alone, Howard!

4. I tried a couple of images, going through Nikon View NXi. No problems, but View won't read the new image! (Other programs do).

5. What I've read is that the Nik plugins still work fine with Lightroom, but not with Photoshop. I think it's a layers thing.

Cheers

Mike

6. Well, that's it for me. I am an early adopter but not this time - Sierra for me.

7. You're just postponing the inevitable, Allan. The Nik Collection was already declared dead by Google. Very unfortunate to have such great software just die because the owner doesn't want to maintain it anymore :(

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. I know you are right Mike. In fact there are only a few plugins that I use. I will have to look at Perfectly Clear, On1 effects, and Luminar.

9. Mine is a Nikon problem, as it fails to recognize jpgs modified by any program that I got to from view. Even though all my recent work is done on DXO Pro and/or Affinity Photo.

10. Great Connie, but does NIK work? :)

11. Wish I could help on this one, but as I said in my earlier post, I've seen comments on MacRumors about this, too, so apparently there is definitely an issue with NIK plug-ins and "High Sierra." I don't use the NIK plug-ins myself so do not have any personal experience one way or the other.

12. I've yet to crash on my system.

13. I read the Mac Performance Guide Blog. The author generally says not to be an early adopter - let the dust settle for a week or two - but in the case of HS, he said he plans on waiting 6 months. I could create a HS external boot drive and try out things there; perhaps I will.

14. Thanks for the replies. I won't update my other MBPR. I may roll this one back.

15. Shane Falco

Shane Falco

Aug 1, 2016
    No one's really been able to pinpoint the reasons behind crashes. I use Nik Software on both windows and mac platform and experience shut downs from time to time. What's worse is that Google has officially ended support for the bundle so there will be no more updates/bug fixes.. unless it goes open source.

16. there is a fix suggested in one of the other forums - I got it to work in col efex after it had crashed just doing it normally

"Nik collection works just fine if you change some settings. When you have your picture open in PS click Settings on the Nik App - After clicking ok - mark : apply the filtered effect to current layer. Then it works like before except that it had allerede flattered the layers. You have to apply this for every app in Nik."

17. Walter

Walter

Jan 13, 2006
    Columbia, Maryland
    Walter Rowe
    I am a little surprised no one has simply gone to the Nik page on Google.com and posted this info.

To ensure compatibility, please review the system requirements:

Mac: OS X 10.7 through 10.10
    Adobe Photoshop: CS4 (CS5 for HDR Efex Pro 2) through CC 2015
    Adobe Photoshop Elements: 9 through 13 (apart from HDR Efex Pro 2, which is not compatible with Photoshop Elements)
    Adobe Lightroom: 3 through 6/CC
    Apple Aperture: 3.1 or later

Windows: Vista, 7, 8
    Adobe Photoshop: CS4 through CC 2015
    Adobe Photoshop Elements: 9 through 13 (apart from HDR Efex Pro 2, which is not compatible with Photoshop Elements)
    Adobe Lightroom: 3 through 6/CC

Licensing and Compatibility - Nik Collection Help

18. Walter, this page was written quite a while ago. I, like many others, had no problems when I had OS 10.10. Since NIK is not being updated we want it to work as long as possible. The newer OS or future versions of PS will eventually kill it.

19. Walter

Walter

Jan 13, 2006
    Columbia, Maryland
    Walter Rowe
    My point in posting that is that beyond 10.10 you should have no expectations.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. I agree with that. It works fine on Sierra for me. I want to know what is happening on HS before I upgrade.

• Agree Agree x 1