Nik Plug ins with Adobe PS CC 2019

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
Anyone notice any recent changes? I haven't processed images for about 6 months. Now that I'm processing again, I'm noticing changes using the Nik plug ins with PS CC. I have not upgraded to the newest version of the Nik plug ins.

Such as...

1. The Nik Selection tool will not stay visible. Now I have to go under Filters to select Color Efex.

2. In the Task bar, I see two instances of PS open. One is the s/w I am using, the other seems to be a blank gray PS workspace. When I click on it, nothing happens.

3. When bringing an image back into PS after using CEP, there is now a long "save" step before the layer is ready to use in PS.

4. Usually when initiating the Color Efex plug in, the plug in would collapse all layers before generating an image in CEP. Now I need to to create an merged layer before starting CEP.

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
Upon closing PS, I just got this message:

Selective Palette Error

Can't create Window of Class xsWindowClassNR (error 1400: invalid window handle.)

Also consider switching to the DxO version, Karen.
They started with fixing the issues between the Google Nik collection and the adobe products.
I seem to remember reading something about issues with the Nik selection tool and the Selective Palette error looks familiar as well. Not that I ever encountered these.
I'm sure all this has been fixed by DxO.

I got the Selective Palette error once too and I had to reinstall it as far as I remember Karen. The thing is I have never been happy with Nik when working with PS as I always had problems. PS is an unnecessarily large software (at least for me) and may be that's why there are always some issues with Nik (and may be with some other plug ins).

I cancelled my PS subscrition after the price increase a couple of months ago. Now I'm trying to get to know Affinity which is a similar and but a smaller software. Nik works with Affinity too. I hope it works better with Affinity than PS. And I hope Affinity is good enough for my needs. Otherwise I wil have to go back to PS again.

You didn't mention which version you're using. I'm using the DxO most recent version. Though I haven't experienced those issues, I also never experienced them using DxO's first version or the Google/Nik version.

The Nik Selection tool will not stay visible.

I've never liked that tool and would consider your situation a feature rather than a bug. :D

I haven't processed images for about 6 months.

I would be in serious withdrawal if I took that much time off from post-processing. I would also forget how to use the software.

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
Thanks for the responses. The next day, I started PS CC and there was the Selective Tool......just like always! Go figure. I used PS all day and occasionally used the Selective Tool to enter CEP. No problems. I've crossed my fingers that somehow a file was corrupted and re-starting fixed the problem. I've used Nik and PS together for years without a problem.

Latest threads

Top Bottom