Nik software

Hi

as far as I know, the Lightroom versions of all Nik software are in fact standalone applications (or can be used as such).

I have tried HDR Efex, DFine and Silver Efex and they all work as stand-alones.

Thanks David. HDR Efex is certainly standalone but I'm not sure about the others. For instance, can you describe how to import an image file into Silver Efex standalone without using Photoshop or Lightroom?

All I can find is this http://www.niksoftware.com/silverefexpro/help/en/index.html which indicates that Photoshop/Lightroom/Aperture is needed to open an image file.

Just locate the .exe file on your drive, and double click on it to run the program. You can then Open a file to work on, and save it when you are finished. They all work the same as HDR Efex as long as you have the Lightroom version.

If you are working in Capture NX2, you can use this program to set a number of 'Open with' programs to call from within NX2, which then passes a tiff version of your file to the called program.

http://www.nikonians.org/dcfp/user_files/191195.zip

Just locate the .exe file on your drive, and double click on it to run the program. You can then Open a file to work on, and save it when you are finished. They all work the same as HDR Efex as long as you have the Lightroom version.

HDR Efex has a 'File' menu (with Open Series, Save Image, Close Image & Quit options) so image files can be loaded into it without using Photoshop or Lightroom.

None of the other programs have a File menu in their interfaces (e.g. first screenshot here http://www.neutralday.com/nik-softwares-color-efex-pro-30-review-recommended-for-some/) so I can't see how to open an image file without using Photoshop or Lightroom.

Or am I being stupid here :confused:

HDR Efex has a 'File' menu (with Open Series, Save Image, Close Image & Quit options) so image files can be loaded into it without using Photoshop or Lightroom.

None of the other programs have a File menu in their interfaces (e.g. first screenshot here http://www.neutralday.com/nik-softwares-color-efex-pro-30-review-recommended-for-some/) so I can't see how to open an image file without using Photoshop or Lightroom.

Or am I being stupid here :confused:

Here you go. From the Flickr group. Scroll down to find step by step instructions.

http://www.flickr.com/groups/capturenx/discuss/72157625060626313/#comment72157625066143533

Do you mean the main post by saronann?

I think that does the same as David's zip file (post 4 above) - i.e. it launches the Nik programs from within CNX2 using 'Open With'.

No it doesn't. Did you read the entire post? It clearly states that using the "open with" method, you will create a new TIFF every time you use it. So instead, use that method once & after that just drag & drop the TIFF onto any of the other shortcuts to a NIK software that you wish to use.

Here's the most pertinent part.
Introduction
This short article provides details on how to use the new NIK Software HDR Efex Pro software and other NIK plug-ins with CNX2 on a Windows PC without using Photoshop or Lightroom. (The NIK plug-in window you see is the same as that available when using the plug-in with Adobe Photoshop or Lightroom.)

Preparation:
If you don’t already have the Nik Plug-in software, you will need to download the trial or buy the Lightroom version or the complete set (with all plug-ins) and install.

1. Make a shortcut on your desktop for each plug-in.
a. Right-click on the desktop and select New>Shortcut.
b. Browse to the Nik Software folder and select the plug-in executable.
c. Name the shortcut.

2. Open CNX2 and go to Edit>Preferences>General (Crtl-K).
a. In the “Open with Application” field, choose the Nik plug-in executable for the plug-in you want to use with CNX2.
b. Select where the TIFF file will be saved.
c. Set the Default Save as to TIFF.
d. Check the Keep All Steps Active…
e. Click OK.

I open Silver Efex directly from Photo Mechanic and also from CNX2 (I also believe you can open it from View NX). It will save directly over the file that you open so you have to be a little careful of your workflow. I use HDR Efex, Silver Efex and love both of them. As a standalone they work a little faster than the plug in. I tried SEP with Photoshop Elements, and while it adds a couple of extra functions (which I don't really use), I thought PSE slowed the whole thing down.

When you use Open With it will send a tiff or jpg to the Nik product.

Really good stuff.

Mike

I'm a bit confused. On their website, it says that a system requirement for HDR Efex is Adobe Photoshop CS3-CS5 or Lightroom. Where do you get the standalone app that doesn't require Adobe?

The Lightroom versions can all actually run as stand-alones.

Running as stand-alone is not actually supported by Adobe, but it works.

No it doesn't. Did you read the entire post? It clearly states that using the "open with" method, you will create a new TIFF every time you use it. So instead, use that method once & after that just drag & drop the TIFF onto any of the other shortcuts to a NIK software that you wish to use.

David's zip file (EditList2) creates a list of up to 12 applications that can be run from NX2's Open With command. File/Open With/Select Application - NX2 converts the open image to a TIFF (or copies it if it's aleady a TIFF) and sends it to the chosen application for editing.

In other words, it does the same as the steps below from saroann - except that it gives a choice of up to 12 applications.

1. Make a shortcut on your desktop for each plug-in.
a. Right-click on the desktop and select New>Shortcut.
b. Browse to the Nik Software folder and select the plug-in executable.
c. Name the shortcut.

2. Open CNX2 and go to Edit>Preferences>General (Crtl-K).
a. In the “Open with Application” field, choose the Nik plug-in executable for the plug-in you want to use with CNX2.
b. Select where the TIFF file will be saved.
c. Set the Default Save as to TIFF.
d. Check the Keep All Steps Active…
e. Click OK.

I'm a bit confused. On their website, it says that a system requirement for HDR Efex is Adobe Photoshop CS3-CS5 or Lightroom. Where do you get the standalone app that doesn't require Adobe?

HDR Efex has its own File menu so you can load a series of images straight into it without using Photoshop or Lightroom (or NX2).

Color Efex, Silver Efex, Viveza, Sharpener & Dfine don't have their own file menus. So as far as I can see, the only way to load an image straight into them without using Photoshop, Lightroom or NX2 is to add their .exe files to Windows' right-click context menu (so they appear in the 'Open With' list).

You could also add them to Photo Mechanic's Edit With list, or the same for View NX2, which does allow more than one program to be listed.

<edit> Note these 2 programs do NOT do a TIFF conversion before sending the file to the editing program, they just send the file you have selected, in whatever format it is.

Last edited by a moderator:
True.

Btw, I just tried the trial version of Color Efex Pro for NX2. It's far superior to the 'non-NX2' version since it allows you to use CEP with NEF files in NX2 - and save them as NEFs.

You can also add multiple CEP fiters one by one and they appear individually in the NX2 edit list - hence they're undoable. Brilliant.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom