Nikkor 105mm f/2.8 VR Micro

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by dante, Aug 7, 2007.

1. Can the Nikkor lens go this detailed?
    This is Brian D's picture. He has the best macros shots I've seen on the net.
    I've been debating to get the Micro lens as I prefer to stick with Nikkor lens.

954577104_3257d0456c.

And has anyone tried to use TC 1.4x with the Nikkor 105mm f/2.8 VR Micro?

2. Taylor

Taylor

May 21, 2007
    Toronto, ON
    Sure it can. You just have to have the right lighting, tripod, and stop it down a ton. It's got 1:1 without needing any extension tubes.

It works great with the 3 Nikon TCs. I've used it with a 1.7x, but make sure you limit the AF to reduce hunting.

3. rvink

rvink

Mar 21, 2006
    New Zealand
    I'd sooner use the older AF 105/2.8 with the PN-11 tube. This gives you a macro lens with a range from 1:2 - 1.6x life size, and a tripod collar. I have had very good results with this combination. According to some reviews, the 105 VR micro is not quite as sharp at close range, and the TC-14E won't help.

4. MD2595

MD2595

Jul 6, 2007
    Fort Worth, TX
    I bought a 60mm micro that arrived the day before we went on vacation. It's been at home in the safe since July 26th and we won't be home until some time tonight which means I won't get to play with it until tomorrow (we're in Nashville now about to leave for DFW).

I've heard about the working length being to short for insects and thought about a TC if I ever tried to shoot them.

Not that it pertains to your thread, but your post made me think about adding distance to my 60 with a TC if I ever needed it.

5. Cope

Cope

Apr 5, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    It all depends on the insect. if you can sneak up on them, or if shooting caterpillars or lady bugs, the 60 is great. It is as nice as any other micro around. I would like to add a Sigma 150 one day, but for now the 60 does fine.

6. BlindMelon

BlindMelon Guest

I tried a friends Nikkor 1.4 TC on mine. It worked fine. AF hunted a bit in lower light, but that lens is prone to that anyway. Optically, I couldn't see a huge difference.

7. Thanks for the replies guys. I just tried the lens along with the TC 1.4x. The AF does hunt a bit, but not too annoying.