Nikkor 18-70mm And Fireworks Make For A Nice Combination (images included)

We have an annual firemen's fair and they put on a pretty good fireworks show. This year they chose to have the fair this past week rather than on the 4th of July weekend. I decided to grab my gear and head on over.

The view was great but I can honestly say this was one of those times where you would have wanted to be further away. The perspective is interesting and some of the shots are spectacular.

I shot everything at f/11, ISO 200, and used shutter speeds ranging from .5 second to 2.5 seconds.

I took a few shots of the ferris wheel for kicks.

You can see the whole gallery here.

Last edited by a moderator:
P

Paul.r.lindqvist

Cool stuff Robert!

Looks like it was a great show!

You captured it well.

great work Robert
I struggled with mine this year....:confused:

the 18-70 is a great choice here as well

i struggled as well
Think it was because the show itself was bad =x
They'd only shoot 1-2 off at a time and my pics were flooded with smoke

I was in Bar Harbor, Maine
very crowded, wanted more of a enviornment in the shots, but couldn't find a suitable space
just didn't come together as I hoped

always next year...

i struggled as well
Think it was because the show itself was bad =x
They'd only shoot 1-2 off at a time and my pics were flooded with smoke

Well, if the show itself wasn't good then you're screwed.

If you were getting smoke shots then it sounds like you were too close or directly underneath.

I was in Bar Harbor, Maine
very crowded, wanted more of a enviornment in the shots, but couldn't find a suitable space
just didn't come together as I hoped

always next year...

The cool part about this show was that I had a choice of where I wanted to set up, and I was right up front with no obstructions. If it was really packed I don't think I could have gotten the shots I did.

Nice work Robert, you got some fabulous images here.

Thanks very much Robert. I didn't realize I would have that much fun shooting fireworks but what surprised me more was how much I enjoyed viewing them after the fact. The images captures look so much different than what the eye sees because of the long shutter speeds, so it's a real thrill to actually see what you got after you've shot it.

It also showed me that timing is critical and while waiting for a 2 second exposure you can and do miss what could be the next great shot. I think the next time I shoot fireworks I'm going to go out with both cameras and either use one for long shots and one for short, or one for shorter shutter speeds and the other for longer ones. I see the opportunity to capture many more great images this way.

Robert

Nice work! The 18-70 was my first lens and I use it quite often at car shows. I can always depend on this lens for reliable auto focusing and sharp images. I see them advertised often for 200-250 used and think they are an excellent lens for the money. Thanks for posting.

Cheers

Ted:smile:

Robert, the wide shot three pics or so below the ferris wheel is one of the best fireworks shots I've ever seen. The rest are also nice. Love the ferris wheel also.

mark

Real Name
Leif
They are all good, but some really are very good. I bet it is not as easy as your pictures make it look.

Robert

Nice work! The 18-70 was my first lens and I use it quite often at car shows. I can always depend on this lens for reliable auto focusing and sharp images. I see them advertised often for 200-250 used and think they are an excellent lens for the money. Thanks for posting.

Cheers

Ted:smile:

Thanks Ted. The 18-70mm is not my favorite lens nor is it the sharpest but for this application is seemed that it would be just fine. Even sharp fireworks are not sharp when you look closely..lololol

I didn't have another lens that could give me the wide end so that was the only choice. It did a pretty darn good job.

They are all good, but some really are very good. I bet it is not as easy as your pictures make it look.

Than you Leif,

Actually, it is as easy as it looks but the problem is timing. I was firing them as fast as I could once the shutter was closed again and at times I knew I was missing shots but fortunately they just kept blowing stuff up.

Real Name
Leif
Actually, it is as easy as it looks but the problem is timing. I was firing them as fast as I could once the shutter was closed again and at times I knew I was missing shots but fortunately they just kept blowing stuff up.

:biggrin:

Anyway, you have inspired me to be ready on November 5th, Bonfire Day, when we celebrate the discovery of a Catholic plot to blow up the Houses of Parliament.

Latest threads

Top Bottom