Nikkor 180mm ED f2.8 AF is Excellent !

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by RFCGRAPHICS, Sep 19, 2005.

1. RFCGRAPHICS

RFCGRAPHICS

Apr 30, 2005
    For a while now I have been searching for the ideal telephoto lens to trek around NYC. I have the 70-200VR but to be honest I find it heavy and bulky as a walk around lens and it attracts a lot of attention on the streets of New York.

Recently while checking out the used department at B&H, I came across a nikkor 180mm ED AF f2.8 in 8+ condition for $350. The size and weight are perfect for my needs and it rounds out my day trekking kit consisting of my D100, nikkors 12-24 and 35-70.

My initial impression is this lens is as sharp if not sharper than my 70-200VR and I just love the size.

A couple of images from my first day with the nikkor 180mm
    original.

View attachment 15723

Regards

RFC

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 19, 2005
  2. Robert,

I haven't used 180mm lens which you mentioned but above pictures are very familiar. I photographed those guys few weeks ago while roaming Central Park. They are awesome !

3. That is a fine lens and I still regret selling mine.

4. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    And doncha just love that little pop-out hood?! Whenever I bayonet on my 180, I KNOW that I am going to be shooting keepers. It does the BEST people pictures of all my lenses - at f/2.8 at that! The first time I looked in the back of the lens, I thought, "Oops, they left out some elements!" But no, it's supposed to be like that!

5. It's been on my short list for sure...my wife Katrina(really) just hid the AMEX.

6. patrickh

patrickh

May 4, 2005
    Thousand Oaks
    It's really one of the Nikon legends. A marvellous lens. There has been a thread on the "other" channel about the manual (AIS) version of this lens, which is allegedly even better. The combination of size, weight and quality makes it an unbeatable walkaround lens - but possibly a bit long.

7. Commodorefirst

Commodorefirst Admin/Moderator Administrator

May 1, 2005
    Missouri
  8. I got an AF 180 2.8D shortly after I got my first D70 in April 2004. I found its sharpness just short of amazing. I found it great for quick people snaps and covering events without the obtrusiveness of the big glass.

I later sold my 180 to upgrade to the 70-200vr, but always regretted that action. This summer I found an AF 180 2.8 at Jack's Camera in 8+ condition for $280 shipped. I'm very glad the 180 is back in my bag. I find its small size a perfect match for my D70. I use the much larger 70-200 on the D2H. Here are some recent 180 people shots.

Glenn

Last edited by a moderator: May 1, 2006
  9. Ok Ok...the LLD has been stirred up again....
    Question I've seen a used 180 f/2.8 ED AF lens for sale and am anxious to buy.
    I've noticed some referred to a 180 D - is this the same as the ED? are there other versions?

Thanks for your reply

Bohdan

10. Ok found out that the particular lens that is for sale is the non D version..AF lens
    Any comments about the quality of this lens compared to the D version?

Thanks

Bob

11. Great.

I've always known this is one of the lenses I want.
    I did just see a clean MF but will likely hold out for a good deal on an AF.

Thanks actually for reinforcing what I already knew.
    I tend to use my 70-200 at the long end anyway. Perfect.
    It's just a matter of time.

12. RFCGRAPHICS

RFCGRAPHICS

Apr 30, 2005
  13. Bohdan,

I notice that you're in Thunder Bay. Any chance that you know Joe and Ingrid Marconi? I think they grew up in Thunder Bay and lived there until about 5 years ago when Joe came down to the States to work on Bombardier's subway car project for NYC. They were my neighbors for a couple of years before Joe's job took him to Eastern Canada. Nice people.

Glenn

14. There are 2 series of 180 f2.8 the first introduced in 1970 was manual focus, the star of this series was the Nikkor 180mm f2.8 ED AIS introduced in 1980.

The autofocus 180 f2.8, a new design with a different optical construction, was introduced in 1988. The initial model had a very narrow manual focusing ring. This was followed by a version with a much wider manual focusing ring. Finally in 1994 the D version was introduced to give three dimension exposure and flash metering with suitable cameras - the general view seems to be this is a must only if you are going to use the lens with flash.

When you hear people waxing lyrical about the greatness of the 180 f2.8 they are almost certainly talking about the manual focus lens which is still listed as a current product by Nikon so is still available new.

15. Sorry Glen...have not met the couple...

Bohdan

16. Dave, question.
    When I wax lyrical (or less often, wax poetic) about something it's most typically an emotional outpouring rather than a rational statement.
    So...the question...is it a better lens (the MF) or just one with an more passionate emotive following than the newer auto focus versions??? :confused:

I want a 180. I know where there's a MF used one...much cheaper, of course than the newer AF units.

http://www.randomhouse.com/wotd/index.pperl?date=20000921

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 1, 2005
  17. I have only used the AF lens and it is great. I have not used the MF so can't comment from experiance but, just to confuse you, here is what Peter Braczko has to say about the current ED version in the Nikon Handbook:
    "Altogether, this is a compact and super-sharp telephoto lens that produces top quality images - it's a dream lens for all occasions and a favorite of zoom lens critics." :confused:
    Here are some links to comments on it
    http://kenrockwell.com/nikon/180f28.htm
    http://www.naturfotograf.com/lens_short.html