1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Nikkor 200/2 + 1.4 TCII vs 300/2.8vr

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by Nik Zinoviev, Sep 18, 2008.

1. Has anyone done or seen someone do a test comparing Nikkor 200/2 + 1.4 TCII versus 300/2.8vr?

I realize that we are talking about different focal lengths. However leaving this argument aside for a second, I am interested to know if there's any noticable difference in the picture quality and focusing speed between these two.

2. I remember this exact question being posed before. I can't help you, as I have neither lens, but I bet someone can direct you to that thread.

3. rich_h

rich_h

Oct 9, 2007
    Colorado
    I debated this for a while and compared them. I didn't see much difference wide open between the 200/TC14 and the 300/2.8. For me, moving to FX made the decision. The 200MM focal length was very useful on DX but is just too short for me on FX. As a result, I went with the 300.

I have found a noticable difference between the 300+TC 14E vs the 200+TC20E. The 300 is sharper wide open and focuses faster.

4. I shoot both and can tell you the AF speed/accuracy is the same on the D300/D2x.
    On the D3 the naked 300 f2.8 VR is quicker to AF over the 200 f2 VR/1.4x combo.
    IQ with either set-up/body is virtually identical. :biggrin:

5. I'm picking up my 200mm F/2 VR from Nikon tomorrow. For some reason it took them a month to fix, just for a calibration! Anyways, my 200mm f/2 better be sharper than a surgical razor when I get it back. I'm thinking of selling it now though.

6. Thanks everyone! I am inclining towards going for 300VR.

7. RichNY

RichNY Guest

The 200/2 and 400/2.8 would make a nice addition to your 600 if you don't need to handhold more than a 200 with 1.7xTC.

8. I think it is a good option, but it will require more investment :)  I will give it some thought.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.