Nikkor 200mm Ai-S f/4 and Nikkor Ai-S 28mm f/2

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by Sunesha, Jul 7, 2007.

1. Sunesha

Sunesha

May 3, 2007
    Malmoe, Sweden
    I have old friend with this two lenses left from his photography days. They are in great condition and hardly used. He said that I can have them for 100 euro.

I tried to track them down with some reviews. I get a bit lust. Even beeing manual. But beeing tripod guy that takes alot of time when taking my photos manual focus maybe will not be problem.

Thou will they work with my D80. I dont know the limits when they are mounted to the D80. He currently have them in his storage area. So couldnt try them out.

For 100 euro which we agreed was friend price for not ripping each other off. Are they worth more, dont want fool my friend...

Nikkor 200mm Ai-S f/4 and Nikkor Ai-S 28mm f/2 would be fun to have.

What do you guys advice...?

Cheers,
    daniel sunebring

2. weiran

weiran

Jan 2, 2007
    Nottingham, UK
    I've never used the lenses so I can't comment on them, but they wont meter on your D80, you'll have to work out the exposure yourself (which isn't too hard if you're not in a big rush).

3. They are certainly worth more than 100 Euros. In the US the 200/f4 AIS is worth about $150 if it's in very nice condition. I had one of these and it is a very sharp lens. The 28/f2 is closer to $400 in nice condition.

As noted, they don't meter on your camera, but they are fine lenses nonetheless. For what you save, you could easily get a great spot/ambient/incident/flash meter like the Sekonic L-508...

4. I don't know the exchange rate, but . . .

. . . I usually see the 200/4 in the $100-150 USD price range used, and the 28/2 (one of my most favorite lenses) in the $200-300 USD price range used .

The 28/2 is a very nice lens--it's my most often-used general carry lens. Here's a shot from Chicago's Union Station:

[​IMG]

The 200/4 is a nice lens in it's own way--getting to 200mm with a lens that is nice and small, but still has pretty good optical quality is handy (especially for folks like me that carry all 52mm kit most of the time).

Here's a random old 200/4 shot taken of a red-winged blackbird in flight:

158040254_dbc74bc665_b.

Unless the conversion rate has changed a lot since I last checked, 200 euros for the pair sounds pretty darn good to me . . .

Greg

5. rubbub

rubbub

Jun 26, 2006
    Hudson, NH
    I bought a Nikon 200 f/4 (Ai not Ai-S though) in very good shape for around $50. It will do aperture priority with my D200. The photos quality is very good from the lens. You can check out used price from keh.com and lens review from http://www.naturfotograf.com/index2.html

6. to add on the 28mm F2, it is a fabulous low light lens, I wont part with mine for anything. Sounds like a great deal, I would go for it.

Here is a moonlight shoot with the 28mm F2

original.

7. Sunesha

Sunesha

May 3, 2007
    Malmoe, Sweden
    Sweet, seems like bargains. I gonna go look at them tomorrow. Typically I managed to throw out my battery charger to my Nikon. I have the strange errors in my connection in my brain to throw things in the trash that I need.

Thanks alot for sharing the photo. Like they say a picture says more then a thousand words.

Cheers,
    Daniel