1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Nikkor 24-120mm VR II Lens ??

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by smodak, Jul 2, 2008.

1. Interesting that the "II" is in the title description, but when you check the "Item Includes" tab, it doesn't say "II".

Senna in this thread mentions actually seeing a saleman's demo with what the camera shop said was a new version.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  2. rvink

rvink

Mar 21, 2006
    New Zealand
    If it were a new version we would have seen an official announcement. "VR II" is a mistake, the lens offered is the original 24-120 VR.

3. CraigH

CraigH

Mar 21, 2008
    Orlando, Florida
    Yep, I just checked Adorama and the II is not there on the same kit.

4. TheHundreds

TheHundreds

Jun 26, 2008
    NYC
    Wow that lens is sick pretty fast too if you know what i mean.

5. +1. I checked with Nikon and it appears to be the original 24-120 VR. :mad: 

6. spoot

spoot

Aug 29, 2007
    Vancouver
    I used the 24-120 briefly, and was not impressed. Wasn't as sharp as I wanted, and the range isn't all the great. The VR was fun though.

7. This is the specifications on the Nikkor 24-120mm f/3.5-5.6D lens from B&H...
    By the sounds of this its a new model that will be packaged with the D700...
    The VR system minimizes image blur caused by camera shake,
    and offers the equivalent of shooting at a shutter speed 3 stops (8 times) faster.
    Magnification: 1:4.7
    Zoom/Focus Control: Two-touch
    Angle of View: 61 to 13 Degrees
    Groups/Elements: 13/15
    Tripod Collar: No
    Length: 3.7" (94mm)
    Maximum Diameter: 3" (77mm)
    Weight: 1.2 lb (575g)

8. That doesn't sound like a new one, it sounds like they are comparing to the non-VR 24-120. That, along with only stating 3 stops, is indicating (to me, at least) that it is the original VR system and not VR II (which they normally show as up to 4 stops)

9. I found the lens absoluting stunning at f8 and f11 throughout its range. Otherwise, it was disappointing. I am still convinced that zoom lenses of 3X or greater range have too many compromises built in, even as good as current lens technology is.

10. LDB415

LDB415

Apr 26, 2008
    Texas
    Those are the specs of the original VR lens for size and weight so it's probably not a new VR model.

11. S/A_4499

S/A_4499

Jan 3, 2006
    Laurel, MD
    Maybe new one...

If the designation "24-120mm f/3.5-5.6D" is correct than it is new because the
    old one is 24-120mm fr/3.5-5.6G". Thats "G" vs "D". So in fact we may very well have a new version.

Richard

12. Sorry Richard, I didn't get your point.
    For what I know, the "D" version is the older, which has been by the "G" (VR) one.
    If he says that the "older" was the "D", it's correct to think that it's just a typo and the lens he's referring too is the current 24-120 VR.

13. S/A_4499

S/A_4499

Jan 3, 2006
    Laurel, MD
    Re: 24-120

Dino: I have the 24-120 sitting on my desk in front of me and it is a "G" lens.
    I also noted on the B&H web site that the D700 package with the 24-120 would sell for $3599.00 while the D700 body alone goes for $2999.00. Thats $600.00 for what everyone thinks is the old version of the 24-120 which currently sells new for $509.00. Things just do not add up.

Richard

14. rgordin

rgordin

Jun 3, 2008
    Washington, DC
    Kit Lens for D700

According to Ken Rockwell - and the links he has loaded - this lens is being packaged with the new D700. http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/d700/lenses.htm

For what its worth, Mr. Rockwell doesn't think much of this lens.

15. S/A_4499

S/A_4499

Jan 3, 2006
    Laurel, MD
    This is how I see it..

Looking at this information thats available (see previous posts), my suspicion is that a new version of this lens will be packaged with the D700. First, you are seeing pictures of the old lens with the D700, because no one has the new one yet. I hardly see Nikon, packaging the D700 with a lens that will not perform to the expectations of the camera. That would be shooting themselves in the foot. Well, thats my thoughts, just like Rockwell has his and mine are probably worth just as much.

Richard

16. paulskimcb

paulskimcb

Feb 12, 2007
    Midwest
    I can't imagine they would package the old, lightly-regarded 24-120mm VR with their new flagship camera.

This MUST be a new redesign...

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 3, 2008
  17. Mah... Not sure.. maybe they could be coming out soon with a new lens but in the end since D700 won't be sold - in the shelves, I mean - until the end of this summer (i.e. around Photokina) Nikon could have just put the more versatile lens it has for FX, even if they know it isn't the best. About the 100$ price difference, I wouldn't be that sure again.. if they just add something with the camera or what if they did a typo? I know a lot of sites which have mistakes on their homepage... If the price would have been 200 or 300$ more, ok, it could be, but "just" 100$ could be everything.

18. rvink

rvink

Mar 21, 2006
    New Zealand
    Nope. As stated before, the specs given are for the current 24-120/3.5-5.6 G VR, the "VRII" is a mistake. If it were a new lens, Nikon would have issued a press release as they do with any other new lens.

Given Nikon's focus on DX lenses over the last few years, this is the best FX "kit" lens in Nikon's lineup for the new D700. It wouldn't surprise me if a new version was being developed - Nano coat, VRII etc.

Interestingly, I checked the numbering of the hoods from HB-1 (for several early AF zooms) to the HB-45 (18-55VR). The only numbers missing are HB-13 (number 13 is sometimes skipped for superstitious reasons) and HB-44. My guess is that HB-44 is already assigned to a new lens, which can't be far off...

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.