Nikkor 24-120vr

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by cwilt, May 27, 2005.

1. cwilt

cwilt

Apr 24, 2005
    Denver, CO
    Anyone using this as a walk around lens? I read that earlier copies had some sharpness issues. How low can you go with the shutter speed?

Charles

2. szek2000

szek2000

May 2, 2005
    Charles

I have tried 1/5 of a second and get quite a nice sharp picture. I am still trying to find a free webspace for my photos. Any recommendations? I used to have one on darwinonline.org but seems that it is offline.

I have the later versions of the lens and it is quite sharp.

3. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    I love the lens..

Wish I never had to take it off the camera, to use other lenses.

Easy to carry, especially for me with very weak hands and arms.

Shutter has no prob at all with focus, and fast.

I tried to post a couple pics , but under post reply fright now can't get it to work. Don't know why always worked before.

I will try again.

4. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
  5. I bought it initially as a walk around lens for the F6. It may not be wide
    enough on a dSLR body, but sharpness is not a problem, even at 1/15
    of a second (or lower if you're careful).

6. cwilt

cwilt

Apr 24, 2005
    Denver, CO
    I'm not concerened with the wide end. I am hardly even below 35mm anyway. If I don't like it I will put in on the D70 for my wife. Thanks.

Charles

7. Phil K,

I had one and sent it back. I own a D2x and the shots were all too soft. One could say, OOF. As it turned out the camera had a major BF/FF problem. Got another camera and it works great. Might give it a second chance. How does it work on oyur D2x?

Dan

8. Hi Dan,

I don't think it has sharpness problem in normal screen resolution. Of
    course with the D2X, we tend to view every photo in 100% and it's softer
    than the 70-200 VR. But it's a very useful lens - small. good zoom range
    and not expensive. In good hands (demonstrated by Gale), it perfoms
    very well. Yes, I think it deserves a second chance.

9. Preston

Preston

May 2, 2005
    Reno, NV
    I love mine. It may not be the sharpest lens out there but it is certainly sharp enough. Moose Peterson loves it as many of us do. Alot of what many people describe as not sharp is probally because with slow shutter speeds comes motion blur. I have found it to be a very capable lens espesially as a walk around lens.

10. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    No sharpness problems here. Often it is the only lens I use on a particular job due to time constraints. Some of my shots go as low as a quarter second, but I always can rely on 1/20th or faster.

Here are some examples.

11. cwilt

cwilt

Apr 24, 2005
    Denver, CO
    I took a few minutes today from my chores and stepped outside with the 24-120vr. This was the only thing I could find to shoot. Looks OK to me.

[​IMG]

12. It is a great lens.
    It needs to be stopped down a bit to equal the sharper lenses(70-200,28-70 etc) and if you: a. have the more expensive lenses and: b. shoot dim light a lot you'll feel the 24-120's limitations.
    The lens fits it's niche as an affordable wide tele-range VR lens better than anything else in the observable universe.

13. overlock

overlock

May 14, 2005
    Lihue, Hawaii
    I use this as my primary walk around lens. Usually mounted on a D70. This photo was taken in Aukland.
    [​IMG]
    Nikon D70 24-120 VR 1/500 @ F8

14. I have this lens also and I find it to be a great travel lens. I took it to Cuba last year and I didn't feel I lacked a focal length. If you want to travel light, this lens is the one to carry.

Here's a sample: (sorry, huge)
    [​IMG]

sarhento