Nikkor 24-70 f/2.8s vs. 24-70 f/2.8 VR

I hope this is the right place to put this thread...

My daughter has the 24-70 f/2.8s lens for her Z6, and I am still using my 24-70 VR occasionally on my Z7ii. I've been hesitant to replace my F lenses since I still go back and forth between my z7ii and D5 as the need arises, with the 85mm f/1.8s as a noteworthy exception.

So, I decided to do a small test, and hopefully I can continue to use this thread if I have more time to test between the two 24-70s.

After clearing from yet another snow, I decided to take a few images with both lenses on my z7ii. The first image was shot with the S lens, and the second was shot with the VR lens.

My camera was set on a tripod, and both lenses were set to 24mm, and focused on our picture window. The white balance was set to 5260K, and both images were converted from uncompressed NEF files through View NX-I with no corrections other than resizing.

My first few observations:

The S-lens is sharper with better contrast;
The S-lens is a touch wider at 24mm;
The VR lens has a touch warmer rendition.

20210208_110843__NZ70005.JPG
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

20210208_110936__NZ70006.JPG
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
It would help if you would include the settings used for both lenses. Hard to tell much from this scene. The main thing I notice is that the numbers on the mailbox seem a tad sharper on the VR.

At the size posted, I can see no difference other than the colors. I prefer the color rendition of the S-lens, but to your eyes, which is more accurate?

It would help if you would include the settings used for both lenses. Hard to tell much from this scene. The main thing I notice is that the numbers on the mailbox seem a tad sharper on the VR.
I knew I forgot something that I wanted to include...

Both images had the same settings - 1/400 sec, f/8, ISO 64

At the size posted, I can see no difference other than the colors. I prefer the color rendition of the S-lens, but to your eyes, which is more accurate?

The S-lens is more accurate.

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom