1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Nikkor 24-85mm f/2.8-4D for Studio Work?

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by fwbigd, Jul 4, 2008.

1. fwbigd

fwbigd

Jun 1, 2008
    Fort Worth TX
    Being a newbie to Nikon, I would like your opinions on the Nikkor 24-85mm f/2.8-4D for studio type work. Is it sharp? How well does it work with the D300? Is there a better alternative for studio work considering cost to return ratio.

VR
    Darryl

2. I have always been intriugued by this lens but never gotten around to it. I actually once ordered it from B&H only to call them a short while later to cancel.

Like some, it seems my lens lust is waning. No point in having lenses that sit on shelves gathering dust.

Hopefully some with experience of this lens will give you the info you need.

3. Almost any lens will suffice for studio work. You will be shooting f8-f11. If a lens isn't sharp at those apertures it's basically defective. I personally prefer that focal length range for my studio shooting since I like tight shots and spend most of my time in the 50mm+ range.

BTW, I don't own the 24-85 (I owned a similar model in 1994, although it's been a while and could have been a 28-85 - fuzzy memory).

4. I agree with Joe about the sharpness of a lens at f/8-11...

But I do have the 24-85G f/3.5-4.5 and this is a really sharp lens wide open especially at the longer FL....
    Thom Hogans and Bjørn Rørslett give the "G" lens a good wright up if f/2.8 isn't that important too you...

For me, this lens is a keeper and maybe one day I'll get a FF camera to get the most out of it... ;o))

5. I expect this lens to gain popularity since the D700 announcement.
    I sold mine because I got better range with DX lenses on my D300, but it may be time to get another in anticipation of going FF.

6. The 24-85mm f/2.8-4 is an excellent lens and would work very nicely for studio work and portraiture. I used the lens for a while and liked it very much. Images were sharp, color was great, bokeh was pleasing at f/4.

I don't think you would be disappointed using this lens for studio work.

7. Do hang onto it Wally - the 3.5-4.5 G version works very nicely on a D3 - it, and a 70-300VR, are my D3 "light kit" (if that's possible :eek: )

8. I too have the 24-85G f/3.5-4.5 and would recommend it. I won’t be getting rid of mine in anticipation of getting a D700 one day…:smile:

9. Nice thing about the 24-85/3.5-4.5G is that it is AF-S as well!

10. Hey Ron, I hear you on this... No way I'd get rid of any lens that works as well as this one, the 24-85G f/3.5-4.5 is a real winner...
    BTW, my light weight kit even on DX format is the 24-85G f/3.5-4.5 and the small, light weight superb Nikon 28-200G f/3.5-5.6....:smile:
    Surprised that the Nikon 28-200G f/3.5-5.6 isn't being used more often by the FX crowd...

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.