Nikkor 28-70 f/2.8

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by Taylor, Jul 11, 2007.

1. Taylor

Taylor

May 21, 2007
    Toronto, ON
    Could anyone shed some light on how this lens performs with respect to:

- colour contrast at 2.8?
    - flare resistance?
    - weather sealing? (i.e. does it have rubber rims at front and back like the 70-200?)

Thanks for any info! I'm interested in getting this gem and would like some last minute feedback to tip the scales :)

2. Its great, actually its the lens that gets most usage on my cameras.

Color contrast and sharpness is okay wideopen, but surely improves when you stop it down. (just as with any lens)

Flare havent been a problem for me, the provided lens hood is sturdy compared to the 70-200/2,8 VR.

It does not have the rubber rims as the 70-200/2,8, not that i can see anyway :)

Now go get it! :biggrin:

Here are a few shots

Wide open
    [​IMG]

F/9
    [​IMG]

F/7,1
    [​IMG]

F/8
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 11, 2007
  3. wow

that is some of the best work I have seen come out of this lens. I have seen samples posted before, but nothing convincing for the $$$ - these definitely demonstrate the optics.

4. 35-70 f/2.8??

Did you ever consider the Nikon 35-70 f/2.8? From what I've read online here at the Cafe, it is comparable to the 28-70 f/2.8 but 1/3 the price. Contrast not quite as good with the 35-70 as the 28-70 but at 1/3 the price is real bargain (pro level glass with consumer pricing).

They are discontinued now but still available new if you look around (BHphoto is where several have ordered recently including me).

5. Just a quick snapshot of my granddaughter !

D200 with AFS 28-70 at 50 mm. - 1:60 @ f/2.8 with SB800 (bounced to the ceiling) in the hotshoe - ISO 100

original.

Post-process: slight WB correction, Smart-Sharpen Amount: 300, Radius: 0.1, Remove: Lens Blur !

...when i first bought the 28-70, i wasn't convinced that it was very sharp, so i sent it to Nikon Switzerland, who confirmed that it had some back-focus... they repaired it and one week later i got it back !

NOW it's VERY sharp, even at full aperture, and at all focal lengths !

NOW i'm convinced that it's worth the price i paid :smile: !

Cheers,
    J-P.

6. Taylor

Taylor

May 21, 2007
    Toronto, ON
    Thanks guys ;)

Here's a focus/bokeh/flare test shot:

776941811_2be7bf7703_b.

The contrast looked pretty good on-camera, but I still did some fiddling in post-processing. As you can see, perfect focus (most of the time), smooth bokeh, and no flare! If this was taken with my 17-55 there would be a ton of flare (visible against the contrast of the black bottle).

ISO200, f2.8, 1/20s hand held. I tested another copy at the store and the autofocus was squeeky!! The second copy is excellent though, and the AF is more accurate than my 70-200.

7. It appears you've already pulled the trigger on the purchase, so congratulations are in order. I think you'll enjoy the Beast, Taylor. It's tremendous for studio and event work. Despite it's size, it has won my heart and earned its way back into my everyday camera kit. Here's a few reasons why.

View attachment 105184

View attachment 105185

8. Nuteshack

Nuteshack Guest

i didn't own the 28-70 long enough to appreciate all it's fine attributes, but i will say this -> it's the finest zoom lens i've ever played with..it renders a "look" like none other (zoom that is)..and i absolutely love my 35-70....;-)

9. Congratulation, there is none better (but the 35-70 is very very close), so I'm sure that you will be more than happy with your new toy. Mine is almost permanently mounted to the D80.... ;o))

10. I just got mine but have been very impressed-

My Daughter-
    [​IMG]

My Father- I think my wife may have been telling how much I paid for the lens at the time... :rolleyes:
    [​IMG]

11. Taylor

Taylor

May 21, 2007
    Toronto, ON
    Haha I'm afraid to tell my gf that I bought ANOTHER lens! I think this will make a good addition to my 4 zoom kit (10-20, 17-55, 28-70, 70-200). This can cover pretty much any event I need to do.

12. GREAT LENS!

original.
    Click to make large......

GenoP