Nikkor 28 f 1.4

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by pebo, Aug 4, 2007.

1. I'm looking to acquire this legendary lens. I understand few were made, does this explain why they are so expensive on the used market?

Does anyone have experience with this low light gathering lens?

Appreciate comments thanks

2. weiran

weiran

Jan 2, 2007
    Nottingham, UK
    They're expensive because it has a precision-ground aspheric element which has to be hand made, and even more expensive now as they're not made anymore.

3. Now that they don't make them, people want them.

4. OK I guess one will have to pay the price but is it really that good a lens?

Would like to know if anyone has used this lens?

What was the original cost I wonder---they seem to go for $2-3000 now.

Cheers

5. Yes thanks for that last post. I can see the merits of that lens for indoor low light conditions.

So gotta lookout for one now.

6. weiran

weiran

Jan 2, 2007
    Nottingham, UK
    The Sigma 30mm f/1.4 does almost as good a job for far less money and weight, as long as you don't need to use it on a FF camera.

7. nimix

nimix

May 30, 2006
    Germany
    try AI 2/28mm first

you can get a good one for 200$ at ebay. The AI(s) 2/28mm does a really great job. If you don't need f1.4 and if you can live without AF it is a good alternative to the 1.4/28mm.
    I love the 2/28mm. It is my standard walk around lens on my D200.

regards nimix

8. Thanks everyone, truely there are alternatives as you all point out. I've read mixed reviews on the Sigma 1.4 mainly that's it's sharp in the centre but soft in the corners, stopping down helps.

I own a Sigma 500 and have some great wildlife shots with it---they do make fine products.

I will keep an eye out for the Nikkor 28 f 1.4 and decide then to plunge.

Rgds--Pebo

9. cotdt

cotdt

Jul 14, 2007
    Bay Area, USA
    my sigma 30/1.4 is also sharp in the corners, except at f/1.4. that is expected. you can find plenty of 28/1.4 versus 30/1.4 comparisons, and in the test images the sigma holds its own, actually even sharper in some pictures.

10. NikGTA

NikGTA Guest

Another fan of the 28 f2 here. Very good colors, contrast and sharpness, even wide open. In a few extreme cases it suffers some color aberration, although you really need to look for them (eg shooting a tiny white rope under midday sun! :biggrin: )

11. TimK

TimK

Apr 17, 2006
    Hong Kong, China
    I don't own the 28 f1.4, but I got a couple of friends that have. From what I've seen I think the Nikkor 35 f1.4 or the 35 f2 are sharper at near wide open.

12. Commodorefirst

Commodorefirst Admin/Moderator Administrator

May 1, 2005
    Missouri
    It is my large group photo lens for indoor use, but I bought it when it was cheaper, before they stopped production,

[​IMG]

13. Doug

Doug

Jan 17, 2006
    East TN
  14. Hi all.

OK I'm convinced that I will get this lens eventually, I see a couple on Ebay and Nikonians----they are pricey but it will be a long term investment I feel.

Thanks for all those posts---Pebo