Nikkor 28mm f/3.5 PC Ai-S ?

I have googled around, but just found out photo samples shoot with film cameras. Has anyone tried this lens on a digital camera?

I am really feel interested with the shift technique. Which seems fun and useful.

1024_180.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Picture of the lens.

I would use it for my greatest passion, architecture.

Cheers,
Daniel

forum member Randy Forshey puts this lens to good use with D2x/D2xs, for breathtaking multi level panoramic lanscapes.
It would be great for architecture. i like the manual aperture arrangement, it takes time to use this lens, you'll want a good tripod for real work, but it is handholdable
the camera must be able to use Ai-s lenses

I tried to find "Randy Forshey", but wasnt able to figure out which Randy it was.

But thanks I will try conutine to track down the photo samples from him.

Cheers,
Daniel

This is what I have picked up from others as I have not used the lens myself:

On film the recommended limits for shifting are 11mm vertically, 8mm horizontally or 7mm diagonally - shifting further will move outside the image circle resulting in light fall-off or poor image quality in the over-shifted area.

The 28/3.5 PC lens can be used successfully on digital cameras. Since the DX format is smaller than film, the lens can be shifted beyond the recommended limit and still remain within the image circle. This is not recommended since chromatic abberations increase towards the edges. Also, the abberations are no longer symmetrical making them difficult to correct in photoshop.

I have used this lens for many years on film cameras, together with a 80-200
2.8 it made up my travel kit. With an "E" screen it was not that difficult to use handheld. On my digital body I don't really use it anymore, but not for reasons of image quality, but because of the crop factor. It is not a wideangle anymore, and thus much less suited for architecture.

By the way, one of the useful things you could do with this lens, is moving annoying foreground matter, like telephone poles, to the side, if you could not move yourself, or take pictures of reflecting surfaces without your own reflection in them.

This lens, and the lack of an equivalent in the current lineup, has me hoping for a FF body, or a 18mm replacement.

Cheers and Thanks to Gugs for the description of his 35PC mod. Inspirational!

My biggest gripe and negative is the same as yours, Christoph.

I am really interested in this lens. It is a shame that not more people are interested in this lenses. As maybe we would get wider version.

My interest was waken as I am writing on the subject perspective on my homepage. Also I seen this lens for sale for 700 dollar here in sweden on a store specialized in selling used equipment. Which is a bargain if you think what this lens actually costed when it was on the market.

gugs, also biggest thank for sharing your knowledge and information.

Most interesting article on your site. It most be very fun to use the modifed lens.

Cheers,
Daniel

Loved this lens on FM2. It was my favorite lens to photograph architecture and landscape:

71005430.gif
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Tried it on the D70 and the D200 with deceptive results, just a few pics like this:

View attachment 94363

Best regards,

Paulo

Rodney,

Sweet, very nice. I loved the telephone poles and car shoot, such beautiful lines and sky at that photo. I wish had your post processing skills. The sepia tone was great. I never managed to get such tone myself.

Paulo,
Thanks for sharing those photos. The digital photo I really confused me, heh is it a shoot at the water just with some reflection.

Also could you explain what "deceptive results" with some synonyms, I looked up the word "deceptive" in my english-swedish lexicon but couldn´t make any sense of the sentence.

Cheers,
Daniel

Paulo,

Was rechecking your photo examples. I love the first photo it really grew on me. Especially how many more elements that you discover when you looks closer. Great shoot alot of details without getting cluttered.

Do you have online gallery somewhere?

Cheers,
Daniel

Thank you Daniel. I have a gallery in:

http://www.pbase.com/paulorbaptista

About my photos the first one was part of a project/book I made c. 25 year ago about the architecture of a small city in south Portugal, Tavira.

Here you have some of those photographs:

http://www.pbase.com/paulorbaptista/tavira

I had some fine ais lens with my FM2 and F601M set: 24, 28PC, 35/1.4, 55micro, 105. When I bought my first digital SLR, the D70, I expected to continue to use those lens but the tests I carried away give me mostly poor results, the pictures were blured and the exposure really didn't pleased me. That's why I bought my first digital lens (with part of the money I earned selling the film cameras and ais lens), the 18-35 that amazed me with the tremendous improvement in image quality and ease of use. Now I use the 18-200VR in 90% of the situations, and the sigma 30 and 60micro for the remaining.

Cheers,

Paulo

Sweet,

Paulo,

Thanks alot man. Your info is very helpful. I decided to go for the 12-24 instead. I just hope that Nikon will pick up the Perspective Control lenses again. Maybe make a dx format one. As I believe full frame wont be here in near future.

I just loved your gallery bookmarked it for inspiration for my own photographing.

Cheers,
Daniel

Daniel,

Good lens choice, I'll be waiting for your wide angle shots posts.
Maybe the future of Perspective Correction will be on software. I am considering to buy a software package for correcting geometry and lens distorion for my 18/200. DXO seems a fine choice:

http://www.dxo.com/intl/photo/dxo_optics_pro/cameras_lenses

It also suports the D80 with 12/24.

Thank you for your kind comments about my pictures. You have a great gallery on Malmoe.

Cheers,

Paulo

I also considering DXO optics. I am testing the software right now. It does a fantastic job. Thou recently bought Adobe Lightroom and own Photoshop 7. Thou the fix of optic distortions with DXO is just unbelievable. I also trying Lensfix(for mac) from http://www.kekus.com . Which is alot cheaper.

The one thing that was so interesting with PC lenses was the ability to get more in the shoot without tilting.

Cheers,
Daniel

Latest threads

Top Bottom